Wakeboard speakers

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for tower speakers and wanted any input. I am looking at Polk Double Barrel and Samson HDS7. The speakers will be mounted on a Monster Tower. Does anybody have any experience or advise? Thanks.

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wakeboard speakers

I put the Bazooka 8 inch singles on my Monster MTK. They sure thump and I could not say no when I saw the price. I bought them about this time last year for half price.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wetsounds speakers have an excellent reputation. You need the right power to drive them.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Everyone will have different opinions but it really comes down to what you are looking for and what kind of budget you are on. If you want to stay cheap and use the speakers primarily for in-boat listening or while swimming, marine rated versions of normal car speakers work great. If you have a very large budget and want the best of the best HLCD's for wakeboarding, Wetsounds can't be beat. I myself wanted a good blend between: cost effective, able to hear while swimming, able to hear while wakeboarding. I went with the Kicker KMT60 tower speakers and couldn't be happier. I picked them up for $219 for the pair and can easily hear them wakeboarding and tubing but wont blast your wallet or people out of the boat either. They are worthy of being checked out.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Ok everyone thanks for the input. I looked around and I am going to go with the Samson S7HD removable speakers because I can remove them when not in use and like how I can turn them around. If anyone has problems with these feel free to comment.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A friend of mine has 2 on his Malibu. I haven't personally heard them, but he loves them like crazy. Especially the swivel option so when he banks his boat by his camp site he can turn them towards the bow and use them as camp music. I'm sure anything coming from Samson has great quality so don't worry about that part.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

skydiveD30571,

Thanks for the info. I am going to go with those. After ordering them I will not be able to mount them until spring. Once they are mounted I will post some pics.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wetsounds speakers have an excellent reputation. You need the right power to drive them.

I have a friend that has the 8" Wet Sounds and I think their just OK with his setup. I'm guessing it has more to do with his audio gear than the speakers. I have another friend that has the 10" Wet Sounds and they are simply amazing sounding. He has a lot more money in all his gear to push higher quality sound to the speakers I'm guessing. No sense spending big money on expensive speakers and having poor quality components feeding the signal to them.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Ok,

I purchased the Samson S7 speakers instead of the SMT65. I will not install them until possibly March or April because it is -8 degrees below zero (fahrenheit) and the garage is not heated.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I got the speakers and amp and I am waiting until it warms up to install them. Here is a picture.

P1280049.jpg

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks very sharp!! What amp did you get?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

pat8839,

I purchased the Samson Harpoon amp by Exile 1000 Watt

dvtran

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love the chrome speaker housing on the Samson.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Well I installed the amp and speakers and they work great. This is how I did it.

1. I first ran number 4 wire for the amp from the battery. I installed the fuse by the battery switch so when the switch is off no power is going to the amp. The fuse should be placed within one foot of the battery from the positive terminal.

2. I then mounted the amp below the dash in the dry storage area and used a switch, that was already on the dash, for the trigger on the amp. I made a bracket out of aluminum, which I lined with foam for cushion, so the amp can sit in it and help support it. I then screwed the amp to the dash support; similar to a firewall in a car i quess. I have to say crawling inside the storage area was tight a fit. I had to go in head first and then spin around so I could sit.

3. After that I ran number 12 speaker wire from the amp to the wake board tower. I found where I needed to drill a hole in the gunwell so that the wire had slack in it when the tower is raised and lowered. I placed painters tape on the gelcoat, got a nice new sharp drill bit and drilled in reverse. The hole was nice and clean.

4. I pulled the wire through the hole and placed a chrome plated cover over the hole to hide the hole. I then drilled holes in the tower leg and ran the wire up in it to the top. Due to the Monster MT2 tower I had to drill another hole at the top as well.

5. After that I placed the speaker brackets on the tower and found the best place to mount them. I traced the brackets using a marker and then drilled holes for the speaker wire. I had to drill three holes in the top tower brace, one for the speaker wire to enter the tube and two more for the speakers. I pulled the wire through the opening, mounted the speaker brackets and soldered the wires. I placed heat shrink on the solder joints and electrical tape over them.

6. After that I placed expandable plastic conduit, that is split, over the wires that are exposed. I ran the conduit into the holes on the gunwell and tower to help protect the wires. I was going to use rubber grommets but found they were too sticky and caused the wire to grab when raising and lowering the tower so the conduit worked better. I was going to use aluminum or stainless steel braiding over the wires instead but found if I needed to get at the wires I would have to cut it off so that idea was dropped.

7. I placed the speakers on the brackets and checked the connections.

8. I then turned on the battery and it was ready to go.