Bellboy 1958 Bell Boy restoration?

mvb1

Recruit
HI there, I just recently purchased a Bell Boy Runabout... 1960 model... and it had a 35hp Johnson Seahorse motor on it. Boat motor and trailer was priced at a heck of a deal.. enough for me to drive from SC to Michigan to pick it up. I am planning on restoring the boat and it has a Holsclaw tilt trailer.. When I took the boat to my buddy at the local marine shop... we find out the motor is a 1958 also he says the boat must be a 58 model also.. and trailer.. For 300 buck we can have the motor running like new. I am having the seats redone and going to sandblast and paint the trailer.
I am attaching some pictures of this boat... My queston is... I cant find where the made a runabout in 1958... does anyone know for sure what model this boat may be... No I dont have a title but I have a bill of sale and it says boat and motor are a 60.???? Anyway.... i think it will be a very nice boat once its cleaned up well. It has spent much more of it life inside than it has outside. Comments about restoring or tha true value of this boat restored will be helpful. Thanks $T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseF5YBQb1kLcBRg~~60_3.jpg$T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUYq,BQb1kIeu2g~~60_3.jpg$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hl0oBQb1kDYCKw~~60_3.jpg$(KGrHqVHJEwE+grEuhPbBQb1kCub7g~~60_3.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bellboy 1958 Bell Boy restoration?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Sweet lookin' ole boat,...

I'll move this to the Restoration forum for ya,....

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woah I was seconds away from bidding on that boat but suddenly it jumped to $205. I was obsessed with it, looks super fun to cruise around on.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

welcometoiBoats-1.jpg

Nice boat! Check with SC Department of Motor Vehicles on how to title a boat. Without a title you will not be able to launch her. My state requires title for motors as well. Any soft spots in the deck? Is the windshield cracked/crazed? I love the old cruisers!

WelcomeAboard.jpg

mvb1

Recruit

Woah I was seconds away from bidding on that boat but suddenly it jumped to $205. I was obsessed with it, looks super fun to cruise around on.

I was so close not bidding on this.. then i got it with just seconds remaining. I think i got a steal.. the flooring is solid as a rock... windshield is perfect.. no cracks....

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find, looks like an easy project boat that you could get back in good running order without the entire rebuild effort of many of the boats of that era. I am restoring a similar age boat and will have considerably more work. I'd say worth the drive!!

mvb1

Recruit

Nice find, looks like an easy project boat that you could get back in good running order without the entire rebuild effort of many of the boats of that era. I am restoring a similar age boat and will have considerably more work. I'd say worth the drive!!
Thanks Yes it was worth the drive. What are you restoring?
Im considering using the tip and roll method of painting. I just recently finished my fathers 13 ft fiberglass v hull boat and I think it looks great.
FOr this Bellboy..... its never been painted... thats the original color... Im planning on going back with the similar color...
What about the chrome? Is there a way to clean it without damaging it? Steelwool? What chemicals will work.
ALso.... should I attempt to take off the windshield to paint? Or leave it as is? Im new to this so any suggestions will be appreciated.. Thanks