Engine alignment issue OMC outdrive

anthonysjo

Seaman
I have a 95 OMC 5.7 with OMC outdrive and I took the drive off to inspect the gimbal and boots. I purchased an alignment tool from Ebay and now I am having issues getting it aligned. I have covered the end with grease and I can just get the tool started maybe 1/2" or 3/4" into the splines and it stops. When I pull the tool out I can just see a 1/2" of the splines and the marks are only on the bottom. If I read correctly I need to raise the motor up. I have done so and no noticeable difference after 3 full turns. I put the drive back up there and it slips right on but no luck with the tool. My guess is the tool needs to go in a few inches further but it is stopping dead after just entering the splines.

Any help would be appreciated as this is my first alignment job.

I have read the following post but still having issues:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/engine-alignment-how-tos-443992.html#post2971085

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine alignment issue OMC outdrive

Check your alignment tool. If it's the old style bar it won't go in as far. Use the drawing in the link you posted to verify the bar dimensions.

anthonysjo

Seaman
Re: Engine alignment issue OMC outdrive

Ok I finally got around to it and the bar dimensions are correct. How should I proceed now?