Glastron strarflite gas tank removal

rlrobian

Cadet
Folks,
I just acquired a 73 glastron 179 starflite with 3.0L mercruiser. The boat needs a new transom, among other items. I have test fired the engine with some starting eather. Before I think about putting fuel to the engine, also it passed a compression test, and I would like to get it to run for a couple of minutes with gas before I pull the engine to repair the tansom. Before I put an fuel in the tank I would like to remove the tank and get it cleaned. I have removed two hold downs at the aft bottom lip of the tank. The tank is not free to come out. It seems either stuck down to the floor or there are more hold downs I am not aware of.
I need some suggestions on how to get this tank out.
Thanks
RL

SeaSquatch

Cadet
Re: Glastron strarflite gas tank removal

I'd make sure to get eyes on everything you can to make sure you have everything disconnected such as fuel sender, wires, hoses including vents and any bracing. I've removed lots of tanks from different kinds of equipment and it seems I run across the rubber insulators gluing the tanks in place. Sometimes a good whack in the right area with a rubber mallet, 2x4 or softish item to knock it loose without damaging it.
If you can't get good sight around the thing try stealing a small mirror from a wife, girl friend or sister to peek into the areas. Or go to napa etc and get an inspection mirror. LOL
Good luck!