2004 Ford Focus ignition switch!!!!!!!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone out there with this pc of sh-t My wife was given this car by her deceased mother and I hate this thing very poorly put together and everything is failing @ only 30,000 miles. Now the ignition switch is not rotating to start the car and unlocking the steering colum. I have searched online and have found that there are literally thousands of people with the same issue leaving them stranded in undesirable places and Ford is doing nothing about it no recall no parts deduction nothing and ford claims to be the #1 selling car and or truck in America:confused: oh! and by the way my research has also revealed this is happening to trucks as well. So after my rant has anybody any advice for a pissed off husband being blammed for poor quality of OEM parts going bad befor thier time!:mad:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2004 Ford Focus ignition switch!!!!!!!

My 2003 Explorer had the same problem, all I had to do was adjust the gear shifter a small amount and it cured the problem, that happened at about 40,000 miles, and I now have 263000 miles on it with no other complaints.

But I did just put a new motor in it, after this many miles, I guess I am doing ok!

:)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx for the reply MT I don't know if that will work on this thing being front wheel drive but I will look into it when I get home from work today! From what I have read it involves changing out the ignition key drum @ the tune of $400.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

My sister-in-law had a 2010 or so Focus and I swear that thing was literally built like a tin can, You close the door and it didn't sound like there was any weatherstrip on it. You had a hard time carrying on a conversation at highway speeds because there was ZERO sound deadining in that death trap. There is cheap and then there is the Focus.

LK

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Wow!, My wife has a 2003 Focus with 97K on it and the only thing I've done is change the oil and put tires on it. We have run it to FL the last few years because my truck gets about 15mpg. She and I are both pretty happy with it.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yea I'm sort of leaning that way I saw alink where a guy bought a new drum and tumblers and replaced the new tumblers with the old so the sap would still allow the car to start but haven't gotten that far yet. And as for the quality of this car in my opinion it's the closest thing to a corvair the car literally rocks if your at a stop sign and the windshield wipers are on! I rememver once we left a mall and as I came up to speed the car was shaking so bad it changed the raio station so I pulled over to find a wad of gum on the front tire removed it and back to normal. But this ignition switvh thing is horse hockey I would just like to know what the root cause id 1st.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

IF i read this correctly you cannot get the key to turn over...If so you have something called ing interlok..Now in a focus there should be a switch or relay that is casuing the lock out. Unhook the battery and see if the key turn over. If it does your switch is fried..probably due to coffee pop or water being spilled while in the center counsol cup holder.

carguy001

Seaman

we had 2003 focus and the same thing happened, it is a very common issue with these cars. you can buy the barrel from ford for about $60.00-80.00. you will need to match the barrel to your old key. then to remove the old barrel from the car you need to take the plastic cover of and turn the car to the run position and there is a small hole on the top of the alum. housing that you need to stick a small screwdriver in to release a pin and the barrel will slide out install in the reverse order making sure the barrel is in the on position.

i had drilled ours out and used a screwdriver to start it till i could figure it out i was not going to spend 400.00 to fix it either. hope this helps

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

@ 10:00 am I will be taking this skateboard to a locksmith in Lisbon (15min from home) and he has the required repair for this issue (weak tumblers) he has done so many of these that he stocks the the repair tumblers and re-formats our key so it doesn't have to be changed all this for $50.00 so the h-ll with the dealer and thier substandard fix witht he same drum and tumblers for $400. plus. The Locksmith has a writup from his trade proclaiming the use of a substandard part for this and many other Ford vehicles. By the way he has been doing this repair for the last 4 or 5 yrs, with no returns on workmanship or faulty repair. I will post back on the repair and it's success for others with this issue to use.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Well as promised I'm posting back for those with this issue on any Ford late model ighition switch the repair was comleted in less than a 1/2 hr and only cost $50. The locksmith replaced the drum and tumblers with a heavier duty set of stainless steel tumblers and popped it back in with the original key!. The dealerships techs replace this issue with the same switch and the repair will need repeated for the tune of over $400. Keep this in mind if your a Ford owner especially Focus,F150,Tarus and Explorer. Your local locksmith is the guy to see!

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the focus has the honor of being the most troublesome car Ford has ever made.. Just be glade its not a 2003 chevy Malibu if you want to talk about real junk..lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Ironically,

I just had to order a new ignition for the Explorer I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I found a locksmith on Ebay that does this job and sends you the instructions for a little over $32.00 I just got off the phone with him and checked out his feedback, he will set the lock up for your keys, and send it out ready to install.

So if someone has the same problem in the future, he would be worth checking out!

Ford Focus Ignition Lock Cylinder Switch Tumbler Repair Kit | eBay

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

MT is that drum and tumbler the same as the OEM if so don't waste your money I can't for the life of me remember the manufaturers name of the replacement My guy used but the differences in the tumblers were night and day the stainless tumblers were twice as thick and have been proven out on numerous drum and tumbler swaps. I know the prices may vary from state to state but for the 20 minutes he took to do it and the $50 I spent well worth it and up yours Ford! And as for the 03 Malibu my son has a 04 and it has served him well except for the aduse he put on it being careless.