yamaha 150txr idle problem

Flash51

Cadet
My 2005 yamaha 150xtr started running rough at idle. It stalls soon after putting it in gear. After starting it cold, I imediately pulled the cover to take a look and found exhaust smoke inside the engine area. As the motor warmed up, the idle seemed to return to normal but as soon as I replace the cover, the idle drops. It appears I'm getting exhaust up in the engine area depriving it of oxygen. It runs fine each time I remove the cover. The cover is not pinching fuel lines or interfering with anything else. Where can this be coming from? Thanks, Flash51.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: yamaha 150txr idle problem

I am not a yamaha expert, but it seem to me like a reed valve issue. Do you have a carb that seem to backfire at idle?

Flash51

Cadet

I am not a yamaha expert, but it seem to me like a reed valve issue. Do you have a carb that seem to backfire at idle?

No problems with the carbs. The smoke appears to be coming from the rear of the engine housing at the left rear section of the housing. I can feel the exhuast if I put my hand down there while running. It seems to be leaking from the midsection somehow getting into the engine compartment. This motor only has 170 hrs. on it and it runs fine otherwise. Thanks for your input.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

gasket or corrosion

Maybe both

Probably need to pull power head and see

Flash51

Cadet

Thanks. I'm thinking now it's the exhaust gasket at the base of the power head. Don't know why I didn't think of that. The boat needs the bottom touched up anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Capt Ken

Commander

Gaskets don't usually blow out. Expect a corrosion problem and if there is, good luck getting the power head bolts out.

Flash51

Cadet

Gaskets don't usually blow out. Expect a corrosion problem and if there is, good luck getting the power head bolts out.

Thanks. I found some corrosion today and was able to poke a hole into the midsection. I can't believe it as this motor is only 6 yrs. old and has been meticulously cared for. Oh well. Thanks again.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

remember, if you have to destroy bolts to remove power head, with that much corrosion they will only come out going up, there seems to be a taper plus all that crud, good luck ,i have the same motor

Last edited:

Flash51

Cadet

remember, if you have to destroy bolts to remove power head, with that much corrosion they will only come out going up, there seems to be a taper plus all that crud, good luck ,i have the same motor

Thanks for your input. I'll keep that in mind when I tear into this project.

If you get the powerhead off look for corrosion around the drainback orifice mid block in front of exhaust passages. I don't know what year it is but late 80,s and early 90,s 225 hp had massive corrosion around this push in orifice. I had to have area welded and decked, then I rebuilt the motor. I did this on 2 motors the second I welded the drainback closed.

Flash51

Cadet

Actually, after removing some cowling I found a 5/8" hole in the top of the mid section exposing the exhaust chamber. A friend is checking into warranty repair for me and til then I will screw an aluminum plate with some sealant over this area to get me back on the water. The motor is almost spotless and only 170 hrs. on it. It appears to be a casting flaw.