How can I change this steering wheel? Too old?

Paterson00

Seaman
Hey all,

I'm in the process of doing up my very first boat and althouh I have bigger issues to look at first, eventually I want to change this steering wheel for something more modern and have been told by my local boat shop that it will be a pain meaning that I will have to change the whole system. This assumtion was from my description of the wheel and the hub but he seemed convinced. Either way I would like to get a second opinion so I have uploaded these pics for you to browse..

5737gde_20.jpg DSC_1312.jpg DSC_1315.jpg DSC_1316.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: How can I change this steering wheel? Too old?

I am not a steering wheel nor a vintage steering wheel expert, but I have followed a bunch of restos, and have pulled several steering wheels off my boats (none Glasscrafts)

I've never seen a hub that had a square shoulder to key into the back of the steering wheel w/ that long thin threaded rod to bolt it on to the steering hub.

You may find it challenging to find a new wheel that matches up to this:
attachment.php

And easily bolts up to this hub:
attachment.php

What type of steering is mounted up behind the dash? Cable & pulleys seems unlikely, it is probably some sort of rack & pinion or rotary teleflex type system.....

You can get new steering wheel, hub assembly & a rotary cable system for a little over $100 US on sale & it includes everything you need to replace the entire steering system (except maybe the correct tilt tube for your motor or a transom clamp/bracket).

You might be able fab something that allows you to mount a different wheel to the square stub on the hub. There are also lots of options available to resto the wheel too, and make it look brand new.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yep if the system works good strip the old paint then repaint it . It would look like new ! Unless ya just don,t like the style or something.. Just my .02 worth ..:)

mark1961

Ensign

The person at the local boat shop was right.....

Bondo

Staff member

The person at the local boat shop was right.....

Ayuh,... Agreed,...
Steerin' systems, Complete are relatively Cheap in boat dollar terms, 'n are a Safety kinda thing....

Besides, those ole square drive units are antique, 'n swappin' pieces, such as the wheel is pretty much Impossible...
Without custom machine work anyways,...

A whole new system is Cheaper....

Paterson00

Seaman

Ok so if its going to be a pain to replace with something newer maybe I can update this one somehow. What restoration options do I have? I think it would look good in chrome or something like that. Any suggestions? I dont even know what material it is made out of to be honest so dont know what options I have. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is this a single cable steer or dual cable and pulleys? What's under the dash and back on the motor? Pics Please if possible.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok so if its going to be a pain to replace with something newer maybe I can update this one somehow. What restoration options do I have? I think it would look good in chrome or something like that. Any suggestions? I dont even know what material it is made out of to be honest so dont know what options I have. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Ayuh,... At Best,... it's aluminum,.... more likely it's pot metal....

Either way, yer options are to Paint it, 'bout any color you'd like...

If ya wanta get really Fancy, after ya paint it, put a wheel cover on it...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would at least try to sand blast it and have it primed and painted.

YD.

Paterson00

Seaman

After having another slow read through this post I would love to be able to replace the steering system if it is only gonna cost me about $100. I have taken a load of pics today to try and show what it is and how its set up, not sure if they show you guys what you need to know but here goes.

DSC_1491.jpgDSC_1503.jpgDSC_1552.jpgDSC_1557.jpgDSC_1559.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

After having another slow read through this post I would love to be able to replace the steering system if it is only gonna cost me about $100. I have taken a load of pics today to try and show what it is and how its set up, not sure if they show you guys what you need to know but here goes.

View attachment 176653View attachment 176656

Ayuh,.... Lookin' at This Page,...

I'd say yer motor connection can be reused, 'n you'll of course, need a new steerin' wheel,....

So,... 'bout $200.00 oughta get yer what yer lookin' for...