1966 Evinrude Fastwin 18 Hp

StormDK

Cadet
Hi and greetings from Denmark.

I have just bought a Fastwin 18 Hp engine from 1966 and have some questions.

Just dropped the lower unit today to inspect it. it has the old pot metal housing in great shape but when looking at exploded view diagrams it looks like it is missing the O-ring on top of the pump housing. Does it just sit on top or what ?? Cant see any signs on where its supposed to be at.

Also is there any sort of brake that holds engines sideways motion ?? Mine is very tight even if its greased good.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Evinrude Fastwin 18 Hp

There does appear to be a tensioner on the front of the swivel tube.

StormDK

Cadet

Hi.
I have looked under the bracket and i saw a screw upthere in the upper part of the tube, but a diagram from a 68 model said it was to hold the tilt stop lever. Think i must have a closer look at it.

StormDK

Cadet

Hi and ty for that link, I already knew leroys ramblings and have used it a lot. But ty anyway. :)

Ok, its part no.11 on this page, the o-ring above the pumphousing, i cant see a groove or slot or what u guys overthere call it to place the o-ring in.

Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 278779

Many more questions to come as i bought a non-runner. but have just overhauled a 6 hp 73. rude. And they seem to be almost the same build up.

StormDK

Cadet

Hmm 303067 o-ring driveshaft. have read somewhere some also have an o-ring on the shaft just under the splines, but this one ought to be on top of the pump i guess. Not letting exhaust gas in the pump.

ooops, my link did not work. but its on page 12

lindy46

Captain

The O-ring goes in the groove on the top of the driveshaft

kfa4303

Banned

yup. There should be a small, black, o-ring that goes on the top of the driveshaft. Although, small it's quite important in that it keeps water from entering the underside of the power head. It comes standard in a lower unit reseal kit which you can get right here at iboats for about $25.

StormDK

Cadet

Okay, guess the impeller then must seal between pumphouse and driveshaft then, just wondered because it looked like it was supposed to be on top of the pump.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, I think that's just a poor diagram. The impeller simply slides down the drive shaft onto the impeller plate. There is also a small key in the side of the driveshaft that you must be properly aligned with the inside of the impeller as well. Once seated, you can them lower the impeller housing while rotating the driveshaft clockwise. This will orient the fins of the impeller correctly. You will be able to feel the housing seat itself as well. You can then slip the small, black 0-ring on to the top of the driveshaft. At this point, the lower should be ready to be reinstalled.

StormDK

Cadet

Yes, primed and painted and new oil in it, new impeller too. tx for advice

I?m put on hold by the wife, so are gonna wait ordering parts till after cristmas. :D