Volvo Penta Engine Block Replacement

dabbenante

Cadet
2001 Larson with 5.0GL PEFS and SX-M 1.6 outdrive. Hull filled up with water during Hurricane Isaac and engine sat in water for 45 days (water level was right above water pump). Insurance has suggested the block be replaced and offered me approx $6k to get the same performed. 1.) Should I replace the entire engine or just the block? 2.) Can or should I go with a different (more powerful) re-manufactured engine? 3.) Is it a bad idea to try and "fix" this boat and instead go back to the insurer and argue that the boat should be considered totaled? (would require insurance to cough up another $1,500) which they will need to cough up some anyways as they missed all electronic items that were impacted by the water.

Eager to hear any thoughts and comments from those that have been through something similar. I have limited knowledge/experience on engine repair, although I enjoy performing repairs I have limited time to do the work and do not have adequate tools. I would look to a marine shop to perform this work if it is worth doing the repairs.

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Engine Block Replacement

45 days full of water??????? The boat is junk. Not just the engine, all the wiring, anything electrical that was under water. Everything wood underwater is now beginning to rot.

dabbenante

Cadet

Don, I did not adequately describe the water intrusion. The boat was and remains on a covered lift and the boat never "sunk." It is assumed that the water was blown in to the engine compartment via exhaust (not certain). The boat was six feet above water when storm started and was eventually floating at the height of storm. Winds were blowing against the rear for about 40 hours and perhaps the water was blown in or seeped in some how.

The engine sits in the sunk-in part of the hull (see attached picture) and the starter is definately a goner but the rest of the hull was dry. The hull area that held the water is fiberglass. Assuming the water damage is limited to the engine and the electrical items in the pit of the hull, what are your thoughts on the engine replacement/repair?IMG_2213.jpg

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried to turn the engine by hand?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Your engine may be salvagable, however I sugest having a reputable dealer with expierience with insurane claims replace the engine. You can probably upgrade to a 5.7 if you desire. There is probably a minimal difference in price.Most accessories and hardware is the same. I would say long block and new water pump at minimum. Was the ecm damaged? check out all wiring connection for corosion and replace as necessary.
I recomend keeping service records to confirm work was properly performed for future marine survey. Make sure hull is dried out indoors this winter as to keep foam from retaining water.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I maybe wrong here but i think you are missing the big picture....Stringer's and the deck. A little hope...Industry Today - Dream Boats

Now if your stingers are composite that could mean they might be ok.. if not there wood and the core is going to rot. If you take a look at your deck the underside in the ski locker area i am sure you will find the wood is not glassed and that would mean you need a new deck also. That's a 14 yr old boat that has been soaked...marinated in water for quite a while as already illuminated dry rot will get you in a few yrs and if not it wood be a amazing testament to Larson's ability tp produce a boat...It would make for a great commerical...14 Yrs Later Submerged for 45 days.... it's still as good as new.

Just a thought what is good hull worth without stringer's...deck...electronics... seating...or engine. Take this to the restoration forum to get a feel for what you are comtemplating. Good luck and sorry for your loss.

You need to take a core sample's of the engine stringer's to determine if they have suffered intrusion at the very least. Have the boat surveyed for yourself and the ins company for the record...best 300 you could ever spend.