Garmin 178 dead pixels...can they be restored>

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
This yr i had a huge amount of dead pixles..looks like a salt on the screen...Is this doa after 4 yrs??? Is there some way to restore them

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Garmin 178 dead pixels...can they be restored>

You could get another 178 with something wrong other than the screen and cannibalize it for the screen.
But seeing as you are asking if it can be done; I suspect the process is outside of your comfort zone.

The process is the electrical equivalent of a kidney transplant.
There is always the risk of killing the patient! :eek:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Enlighten me...actually the pixels are white from what i have been able to glean is there hot pixels

UncleWillie

Captain

The display is back lit with a glowing panel (Plasma, Fluorescent, LED, etc.).
The display screen is in front of the panel and Blocks the light from back-lit panel.
Any dead pixels are going to show as white (Common) because they no longer darken.
Pixels stuck ON are going to show as dark/colored.(Uncommon).
If you had horizontal or vertical black or white lines; The screen driver or the interconnection would be suspect as entire rows or columns of pixels would be dead.

Pay attention to your computer monitor when a mostly black screen saver is displayed.
It is not uncommon to have 3 or 4 white/dead pixels that you never notice.
They become annoying when there are a lot of them, especially in the center of the screen.

Replacing the screen can be done by someone experienced in modern electronics.
Small tools and a delicate hand is needed.
If you have the mentality and patients to repair a clock you could swap out a screen.
Carefully remove the old one and install the replacement.
Some very fine soldering may be required.
If this sounds like a good challenge and the old unit is already destined for the trash, go for it.
If this sounds too intimidating; You should pass.

Don't expect to get much help.
Watch This Video to get an idea of the process.

fishrdan

Admiral

If you can get the case apart and then find a replacement screen it would be do-able.... But...

I tried opening a old fishfinder once and basically destroyed it in the process. The case halves were glued together and cutting it apart was the only way to open it.... I cut the ribbon cable in the process and who know's where I would have found the screen. As I remember, the LCD was marked Eagle or Lowrance, custom built for them, and they would most likely be the only source.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well i was on the way to major surgey so i put on the glasses...What i saw was the outer screen (grey) has what looks like hunderd's of salt size bubbles..They dont appear to be mositure but rather some type of pitting. The unit has been sealed so i assume some how the outer screen baked and bubbled????

matt167

Captain

Quick search shows that particular model is susceptible to UV exposure. Garmin can fix it, but the people say to run screen protectors