Gel coat crazing?

jasonjeremiah

Recruit
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first boat a couple of weeks ago and was hoping I could ask some questions. I got a really good deal on a 2005 Stratos 275 Pro XL (bass boat) but one of the previous owners must have left the boat uncovered for a significant period of time. The gelcoat was chalky and oxidized across the top and there appears to be some minor crazing or something, as well, across the stern. I can't really tell what it is and I haven't been able to find a comparable photo of a boat with similar characteristics. The finish looks sort of spider webbed but doesn't appear to extend into the fiberglass and is purely cosmetic. I used some Meguiars Ultimate Compound on the top of the boat which has removed most of the oxidation, but the spider webbing remains. I've posted some photos to show what I'm talking about, but they're not great. As you can see, the spider webbing is much more visible in the photo with flash, but doesn't show up well in the photo without flash. Is this fixable without removing all of the gelcoat?P1080061.jpgP1080063.jpgP1080065.jpgP1080067.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Gel coat crazing?

Welcome to the dry dock, Jason...

Hang tight, one of the resident gel-coat experts will be along soon to give you some advice...

Best of luck,
GT1M

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am not a gelcoat expert at all. That said. Have you tried some compound or wet sand paper? Any promising results? I would try on an out of sight test area of course.

jbcurt00

Staff member

• [h=6]Crazing[/h] By Beefer in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)

Replies: 6 Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM

• [h=6]Gelcoat Crazing[/h] By bman1bpm in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

Replies: 4 Last Post: February 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM

• [h=6]Gel Coat Crazing[/h] By seaman campbell in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

Replies: 8 Last Post: April 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM

• [h=6]Is this crazing??[/h] By mtsumedi in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

Replies: 4 Last Post: January 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM

• [h=6]Need some help with Crazing[/h] By bhalsdorf in forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

Replies: 5 Last Post: July 15th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You might want to try a two part rattle can Clear in a small spot to see what happens..

If it works then you have something that in the long run might be Ok with your situation.

But in the long run its up to you.

It appears that you have some Clear gel thats crazing. You have only a few options.

Try the small spot test first.

YD.