Smart Tabs?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
How come I do not see any mention of them anymore? Maybe I am just not looking in the right forum but a few years back they were the rage and they seemed to be talked about continuously. I got mine during that time, along with several friends, and I still swear by them.

Re: Smart Tabs?

There have been lots of threads this year on Smart Tabs. Everyone seems to like them - I've not read a bad word about them. I'm installing them next spring. Maybe folk are just tired of talking about them :(

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I think they were new a few years ago so the sparkle has probably worn off a little, I never heard anything bad about them either and even if they did have problem it was corrected right away, really good company.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had the misfortune of backing into a piling and hitting one of my Smart Tabs. It broke the delrin(?) fitting at the top of the piston where the piston attaches to bracket which attaches to the transom. The boat was fine; the tab itself was undamaged. Only the fitting at the top of the piston was damaged. Unfortunately, the fitting alone isn't available as a separate part so I had to order another piston. I ordered it from Smart Tab's website and had it in my hands in two days. I'd call that good service.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure why anyone would need them unless their floatation foam was waterlogged in the aft of their boat.

I have a 17' Deep V aluminum rated for a 90 hp with only a 50 hp motor and my boat planes fine.

What did do before there were smart tabs?

I'm not sure why anyone would need them unless their floatation foam was waterlogged in the aft of their boat.

I have a 17' Deep V aluminum rated for a 90 hp with only a 50 hp motor and my boat planes fine.

It's not just getting onto plane - it's getting onto plane, and staying there, at lower rpm's. They also add some stability.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.......What did (we?)do before there were smart tabs?

Dragged butt in a 20" V8 IO, with a whole boat load of people while trying to do low speed towing. Did I fail to mention that while dragging butt, the nose would be high in the air, eliminating adequate forward visibility causing one to have to stand at the helm to see forward. Then once you began to achieve plane, the boat would start to rocket ahead, way faster than your activity called for.

At the same time, we would weave back and forth in a no wake zone, like a drunken sailor.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Those who speak out against trim tabs, of any type, have one thing in common: they haven't used them ;)

jestor68

Commander

jigngrub said:

We loaded the boat so the the weight was distributed properly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner

. . . and couldn't plane off until 5 MPH faster.

jayhanig

Slower to get on plane and the bow wandered at slow speeds. No more with the Smart Tabs. I'm very happy with mine.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Hundreds/thousands of positive testimonials, myself included... In your case, your boat would handle better, plane even quicker, stay on plane at slower speeds, and maybe pick up a couple MPH at the top end. (all irregardless of the condition of foam)

Oshkosh1

Ensign

On my command, everyone forward, into the cabin!:eek:

You don't know how funny that is to any submariner who has taken part in a "trim party"...Can't do it on a boomer(too big), but on FA's they sure can make a new J/O REALLY sweat when the old man is asking why his boat can't stay trimmed correctly!:D:eek:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Had a 21' Pro-Line with a 175 Johnson on a factory-installed bracket with 30" setback, plus an 80-lb auxiliary motor. That boat was so butt-heavy it took forever to plane. I made 2 changes. First was a 4-blade Solas Titan prop that made a noticable difference by increasing stern lift. Second was Smart Tabs- they transformed the boat. Cut planing time in half, cut minimum planing speed by about 4 mph, and actually increased the top end by 1 or 2 mph.

I still prefer helm-adjustable tabs (Bennetts) overall, but as a relatively cheap and simple system for a small boat, Smart Tabs are pretty neat.

My .02

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Love my Smart Tabs. In addition to all the other things mentioned, they also reduce or eliminate chine-walking on the top end.

Jim

jayhanig

You don't know how funny that is to any submariner who has taken part in a "trim party"...Can't do it on a boomer(too big), but on FA's they sure can make a new J/O REALLY sweat when the old man is asking why his boat can't stay trimmed correctly!:D:eek:

I'm guessing you're referring to something I used to do on a much smaller scale in airplanes: sitting in the back of a Cessna C-172, I'd lean forward to speak to the pilot and keep up the conversation until he retrimmed the airplane. Then I'd sit back. After a while he'd retrim again. I'd lean forward and talk to the pilot some more. He'd retrim. And so on... until he caught on why he couldn't hold altitude.