Trim issues

mliteford

Recruit
I have a 97 maxum 4.3l i/o alpha 1. lowered the trim to change lube oil and went to raise it back up today after job was done. It started to raise and then about 4 inches the unit just stalled out. pump was still working(making noise), used trailer button and raised it some more and then it stalled out. when i push the trailer button the pump sounds the same as if it were running. Have no problem lowering the unit. Read on another forum to switch the down and up lines on the pump and push the down trim to see if it lifted it up and it did. I pushed the trailer button to lower the unit and it struggled but would go down. pushed the down button and the lower unit came up no problem. Any ideas why it wont raise when i have it hooked up the correct way?

Thanks for the help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim issues

I have a 97 maxum 4.3l i/o alpha 1. lowered the trim to change lube oil and went to raise it back up today after job was done. It started to raise and then about 4 inches the unit just stalled out. pump was still working(making noise), used trailer button and raised it some more and then it stalled out. when i push the trailer button the pump sounds the same as if it were running. Have no problem lowering the unit. Read on another forum to switch the down and up lines on the pump and push the down trim to see if it lifted it up and it did. I pushed the trailer button to lower the unit and it struggled but would go down. pushed the down button and the lower unit came up no problem. Any ideas why it wont raise when i have it hooked up the correct way?

Thanks for the help

Ayuh,.... Disconnect the rams, 'n make sure the drive ain't binding,...

If that ain't the problem,...
I'm guessin' yer a saltwater boater,...
If so, there's a build up of salt, 'n crud at the ram's gland nuts, causing the rams to bind up....

Rebuild, or replace 'em...