Suzuki DF25 trouble

duckboatertn

Recruit
I have an '08 Suzuki DF25 with the Keihin BCM carb. The motor will crank and then die within about 5 seconds. I can run it wide open for a short time with a small amount of starter fluid assistance but then it dies. I am thinking it's a carb problem but I have the carb off for the 3rd time now cleaning it. I parked the boat about 1-1/2 years ago and it was running fine (I ran the gas completely out of the motor before I parked it). Does this sound like it could be something electrical or should I keep cleaning on the carb? It is getting plenty of fuel and I put new plugs in it (it is getting a good spark). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DF25 trouble

If it runs for awhile on starting fluid than electrical is not the issue. Cleaning a carburetor is more than just washing out the float bowl. You need to get every passage and every jet squeaky clean. High and low speed mixture screws need to be removed and those passages cleaned. Count the turns from seated so you know where to set them again. The fuel pump diaphram may also have deteriorated. Try squeezing the primer bulb repeatedly to see if the engine stays running. If it does, the fuel pump is suspect.

duckboatertn

Recruit

Thanks Silvertip. I have cleaned it as thoroughly as I know how each time. Not just the float boat. I've broken it down as far as I can and cleaned jets, passages, etc... with carb cleaner and compressed air. I will try the pumping bulb trick to see if it's the fuel pump. I have pulled the fuel line off at the carb and turned the motor over and it seems to be pumping fuel fine. Thanks for the tips though. I will try them. Is there anywhere I could find a schematic of the Keihin BCM carb to make sure I'm not missing any passages?

sausages

Recruit

I am having this exact same problem with the exact same engine. Its a 2008 DF25 4 stroke that will run for a short time if I put gas in the intake but will not continue to run. The fuel pump is solid. In fact, when I disconnect the hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor, gas comes squirting out as if the carburetor isn't even accepting gas from the fuel pump. duckboatertn, Did you get this problem resolved? Im at the point where im about to pull the carb and try to clean it out but if youve found something better let me know!

sausages