Bad water pump entirely?

speterson1011

Seaman
Ok so I will get to the point. I changed out my impeller. It was the correct replacement for sure and all of the o rings were put back in. The impeller was turned the right way so it is flowing water in the right direction inside the water pump housing. I turned the engine over and it would not pee what it normally did. So I took off the piece where the water stream comes out of so if anything was clogged it would come out since more water can flow out of it. Nothing came out, I also tried poking way down in there just in case it was clogged but still nothing. Put the piece back on and it still peed the same. It's a weak flow, it only shoots a few inches away from the engine. I used the impeller lube when I put it back together as well. I tested this on ear muffs and out on the water. While I was coming in it did throw a hot light. It has the right amount of oil and I put new thermostats and thermostat springs in also. Still the same thing. Does anyone have anymore ideas? I was thinking maybe some of the gaskets and the large o ring on the water pump are bad and it is leaking some down there? Also I was sure to put the impeller key back in. I also took apart the inlet where it intakes water at the bottom of the foot but still nothing. It is a 2000 90HP 2 STROKE 4 CYL. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad water pump entirely?

Hate to say this but you may want to take the l/u back off and recheck the water pump parts. JMHO

speterson1011

Seaman

Thats what I'm thinking also. I ordered a new water pump kit. When its off I will check all water intakes again also. Hopefully this will solve it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

What kind of shape was your old impeller in when you replaced it? It wasn't missing any veins, was it?

bpollock

Cadet

with l/u off , force water through water tube going into engine, if good flow look to the pump for proper assembly,, if not look for restrictions

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Rogers asked a good question. Was it missing any vanes ??

speterson1011

Seaman

No it wasn't missing any veins thank you everyone for the replies. I just got the lower unit off I am going to try and run water through it and see how much is coming out of the water tube. I did get the whole entire water pump kit in a few days ago so I plan on tackling this over the weekend. I will get back to you all

speterson1011

Seaman

Hey guys I think I found the problem if I am right here. On top of the water tube is there supposed to be a small circular rubber grommet with a smaller hole then the water tube in it? I believe this would seal the water tube when it meets the 2nd part of the water tube up in the mid section? Here's a picture to what I am talking about. IMG_1761.jpgIMG_1760.jpg Im not sure which place it goes but I know it is between the two. thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The part in the first pic is for the the shift rod for different length mtrs. There should be no blockage for the water tube. The water tube has to fit into the impeller hsg.

speterson1011

Seaman

Thank you for the replies. That's what i've been finding out I've just been googling all day. Does no grommet go on top of the water tube though? My shop manual is not very helpful. I just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks again

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thank you for the replies. That's what i've been finding out I've just been googling all day. Does no grommet go on top of the water tube though? My shop manual is not very helpful. I just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks again

According to; http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=k7u8qs6rk7q7chthecnnn53052&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

There's a grommet inside the housing for the water tube.
Part number 0314008. Is normally included in a factory water pump kit.

speterson1011

Seaman

Ah Yes that piece is in there I see how that seals it now. That makes since. Thanks again for your help! I will let you all know if it is fixed tomorrow

speterson1011

Seaman

Thanks for the replies everyone once again. I managed to get it fixed. I can't exactly say what was wrong but by putting a whole new water pump kit in did the trick. Back on the water finally