Spark, fuel but no start

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I finally got spark on my aq151b, it's consitant and strong. I am getting fuel into the cylinders, i pulled the plugs out and they were wet with fuel.

I am using new gas. I replaced a snapped timing belt and I have checked the timimg marks multiple times.

When I recieved the boat the distributor wires were taken off, so I put cylinder 1 (cylinder closest to the. Crank pully) TDC on the compression stroke to find where it goes on the dostributor. Then I connected the plug wires in 1-3-4-2 order. I never took the distributor out is is sitting as it was when it was last running. I have tried moving it around to change the timing but have had no luck.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Spark, fuel but no start

Have you checked compression? Im not 100% sure on your motor but it could be an interferance motor which would mean when the timing belt went so did the valves. Maybe not but poor compression would also cause this.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, I will do that. What i did was turn motor by hand and had a tube up to tue spark plug hole amd felt it for pressure, then i used a dowel to find the highest point.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After reading the post it sounds very similar to what I did. The compression stroke pushes air out right?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Right, but so does the exhaust stroke.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Really? I guess I am remembering incorrectly because I thought one of the revolutions didn't shoot any air out of my compression tester hose. I guess I am just crazy, I will check again.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a gauge on that compression tester hose? First things I check on a no start is spark, fuel and compression - low compression can cause this

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I re did my timing belt, it was one tooth off on the crank shaft. I did have the #1 plug wire in the right spot before. I ended up getting it to fire once rotated about 2-3 times then died out and now it wont start. I think I have flooded it so I am going to let it sit for a while.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I feel like a tosser... What do you need to run? Spark, Fuel and ... Air.... One of the carbs was stuck shut so it wouldnt let the other one open its butterfly valve at all. I opened them manually and she started right up! Now I just need to get an alternator so I can let it idle for a bit.

Partar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a video if anyone wants to check it out... Only one carb is open since the other one is stuck. I have it open quite a bit I closed it more after this video and got it to idle at about 1800 rpm. I put my alternator back on for this ( I have it un seized its just not working) and ran on ear muffs.

aq151b - YouTube