'54 Evinrude 15 HP Gear Oil Drain

DScheff

Cadet
Hi
Well here we go..drained the lower unit today and alas oil mixed with water. Milky nasty looking oil :eek: OK, now that I know this...now what? Total rebuild of water pump, all gaskets and seals? Suggestions please

nwcove

Admiral
Re: '54 Evinrude 15 HP Gear Oil Drain

is this a new to you motor? a runner? or a project? could be as simple as drain/fill plug washers or if its a new to you motor, it shoud get an impeller anyway. also, if its a project motor, start at the power head...ie compression.

DScheff

Cadet

Thank you for the reply. I have no history of this motor or boat for that matter, the previous owner died and his widow knew nothing about it. I picked up the boat('72 14 ft star craft holiday closed bow), motor, trailer and a 1 hp elec. troller for a song..I am new to boating but not afraid to tackle any project. So to answer your question, I suppose this is a past issue with the motor. I agree to start with power head, and plan on that, but this was a simple check. Thanks

nwcove

Admiral

for now id just refill the gc with oil ( just to keep any chance of rust to a minimum), and focus on the powerhead. sounds like you do have a nice project tho!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You MUST use new gaskets under the Drain/Fill and Vent plugs every time they are removed. They are the foremost cause of water in the gearcase.

DScheff

Cadet

You MUST use new gaskets under the Drain/Fill and Vent plugs every time they are removed. They are the foremost cause of water in the gearcase.

I bought new plugs (with allen heads) and new seals today. Old plugs had no seal on either!!. I read in another post that the slotted heads are a pain...now that was experience talking...took the largest flat tip screwdriver and a wrench to get them out LOL. Im going to let it drain for a day or two - motor is in my garage with a halogen lamp close to the housing to warm it so the oil will flow better, so next step will be to re-fill, re-seal and check it again after first run in tank. For now onto the power plant.