reading fishfinders.

johnny howe

Seaman
i just bought a lowrance elite 4, to replace an old humminbird, In relation to the boat, when the display is scrolling accross, how can you tell where he fish are in relation to the boat?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reading fishfinders.

The new line is directly below your transducer. Everything else is somewhere behind you.

johnny howe

Seaman

So the line is moving front to back, not side to side? if you are sitting still, how does it read? thanks!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

So the line is moving front to back, not side to side? if you are sitting still, how does it read? thanks!

2nd question first: It reads the same way moving or sitting still. The sonar is a constant series of evenly-timed 'pings' which send a sound signal into the water. The sound signal reflects back off of everything under the water: the bottom, rocks, brush, fish, even little baitfish and muddy water may reflect back a weak sonar return echo. When you see the screen moving that is only the display of the sonar's interpretation of the echoed back sonar pings over time- it doesn't show or mean that your boat is moving.

1st question: watch the following video and watch the segment from 2mins26secs several times. This segment shows a cone-shaped "beam" below the boat which is essentially the shape of the sonar ping signal. I wish this was explained further in your Lowrance manual but once again Lowrance falls down on the people part of their business. The old Eagle explanation works well enough I guess. Actually it is pretty good.

Once you wrap your mind around how sonar works go ahead and ask some informed questions!

How to use a Fish Finder! - YouTube