Yamaha 4-stroke engine oil alternative

YamahaF200

Cadet
Is there an alternative oil to use in the Yamaha F200 Outboard engine? $83 for 6 qts of oil and filter seem steep.
thx in advance

jestor68

Commander
Re: Yamaha 4-stroke engine oil alternative

How often do you have to change oil? Think of how many quarts of expensive oil the 2 stroke guys use in as many hours. You get to buy oil, one way or the other.

Is that a synthetic oil? Compare the specs with some brands from your local auto parts store. You might find some well known brands that carry the same specs. After all, we know that Yamaha doesn't make their own oil. They just charge more because it has their name on it.

A bunch on another forum swear by Mobil One 10-30. I have read comments saying conventional oil is OK as long as it carries the "sj" rating.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The best site for oil questions is BobisTheOilGuy.com. They have a section on marine oil, and you can read for hours.

If the engine is well broken in, I'd just put Mobil 1 in it. Mobil has not spent the small fortune to get it tested for marine use codes, but it's better than any dino oil you can purchase.

I've changed oil on my Yammie 150 hp, and went with Delo heavy duty oil commonly used in diesel engines. It's inexpensive and does a great job in a 4 stroke marine engine. When I get some hours, I'll be using Mobil 1.

YamahaF200

Cadet

well, i can't afford to take my rig to the dealer for simple oil changes, nor can i afford to have the engine hr's read every few month's (@$50 a visit),, so i think for now i'll change the oil once every 12 fishing trip's.
i had thought of using Rotella 15w-40, which i use in just about every toy i have at home, with no issue's on any engine.

what concerned me was what i read about Yamaha's oil being formulated for the condition's that boat's are subjected to.
but i recall when i owned a MerCruiser, i used regular automobile engine oil in it and had zero issue's.

so, as you guy's mentioned Mobil 1 being a alternative oil, it maybe the ticket to reducing operating costs.

thanks for the intell my friends

Capt Ken

Commander

Yamaha 4M lists for $8 a quart so that is $48. Can't remember how much the filter is but it isn't $34. Buy two gallons jugs next time and save a half gallon for the next change. Gallons are cheaper.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Been using mobile one or valvoline full syn (whats on sale) in my yammi since the warranty was over. Thats 8 years plus and 1265 hours. Change oil and filter every 50 hours by my hourmeter which isn't perfect cause I wired it to my key and runs when the key is turned on. Pretty close though. I also change oil in the fall and sometimes it goes as much as 75 hours or as little as 30 hours. My motor still runs great (knock on wood) and I figure its a cheap way to make me feel good.

YamahaF200

Cadet

Yamaha 4M lists for $8 a quart so that is $48. Can't remember how much the filter is but it isn't $34. Buy two gallons jugs next time and save a half gallon for the next change. Gallons are cheaper.

Good Lord!!! I wonder why the "Oil change kit" is so much higher in cost? the only thing included with the 6 qts of oil and filter was an aluminum seal for the drain bolt,...

perhaps purchasing the oil and filter seperately is something else to consider???

Thx

Capt Ken

Commander

Buying the kits saves no money. Its just for convience. So lets look at this another way. A gallon of 4M is $28.75 so two gallons would be $57.50. The 69J filter lists for $28.23 so two of those would be $56.48. So added together it comes to $113.96, divided by 2 equals $56.98 per oil change.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can install an hour meter for less than $30 bucks so why on earth go to a dealer to have the hours read and why change oil every 12 trips since that is relatively arbitrary measure.

YamahaF200

Cadet

will an hour meter for a dirt bike work? the unit simply attaches with velcro and the signal wire wraps around a spark plug wire lead

this would allow me to visually see the hours i accumulate on the engine, and use it for oil change intervals...thx for the idea!

KJINTF

Seaman Apprentice

Sure most any 12 Volt hours meter will work also Yamaha sells an hours meter with an internal battery and wire that attaches to a plug wire it works good but needs to be located inside the engine cowling. You might want to consider getting the YDS software and cable assembly that way you will know exactly how many hours at what RPM the engine has. You can get the interface cable off Ebay and the software is available many places.

YamahaF200

Cadet

Sure most any 12 Volt hours meter will work also Yamaha sells an hours meter with an internal battery and wire that attaches to a plug wire it works good but needs to be located inside the engine cowling. You might want to consider getting the YDS software and cable assembly that way you will know exactly how many hours at what RPM the engine has. You can get the interface cable off Ebay and the software is available many places.

the YDS would be ideal for what i would want. if i were able to see the "total" run hours on this engine, that would be so helpful in how i schedule my maintenance.

i will look into this feature. Thank you for posting, and thanks to all that have

Capt Ken

Commander

Yeah right, grab your wallet for a cable and disk. There was a company selling knockoffs up north and Yamaha just took legal action against them. I'm a dealer and my module on my test cable just died and they do not support the 1.33 system anymore or have any parts. New system, dealer cost, $1200.

KJINTF

Seaman Apprentice

A friend got his YDS setup Ver 1.32 w/ cable and disk delivered for $100.00 a few months back off Ebay
Your older cable assembly is easily fixable but not worth the $ to fix - suggest you pickup a cable from Ebay or Craigs List
Do some research they are available and can be constructed from common available parts - it's not rocket science

Yes ver 2.0 is expensive but not needed for most users unless you want to programm some parameters
Yamaha offered it to the public for a few months when first introduced in 2010

Might want to try these guys
CanDoo Pro Diagnostic System : PWC Performance Parts