1995 200 HP Mercury won't idle and power loss

Capttl

Recruit
I have a 1995 200 HP Offshore Mercury (not EFI) and while running about 4200 RPMs the other day it began losing power and then wouldn't idle. To get home I got lucky enough to start it at high RPMs, throw it into gear and made it back at low speed.

I've changed the plugs, fuel filters and cleaned the carbs. I believe all of the cylinders are working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1995 200 HP Mercury won't idle and power loss

Do a compresssion test and pay close attention to #2 cylinder. Based on what your symptoms were and the fix to get home, I'd say you lost water pressure and overheated #2. It's always the first to go when water pressure is lost.

That's a guess mind you, I would have had to been there to make a acurrate assesment.

Capttl

Recruit
Re: 1995 200 HP Mercury won't idle and power loss

Do a compresssion test and pay close attention to #2 cylinder. Based on what your symptoms were and the fix to get home, I'd say you lost water pressure and overheated #2. It's always the first to go when water pressure is lost.

That's a guess mind you, I would have had to been there to make a acurrate assesment.

You were right. The top cylinder on the right side as you looked at it from the back had zero compression. The others were low. Can you tell me how the cylinders are numbered as you look at the motor from the rear and also what should the compression normally be?

Thanks!!