Battery for a 1977 evinrude 75hp motor?

lderboater

Cadet
Please help. I got this motor in October with no battery. The seller ran it with the rope start. The owners manual says:

"We recommend a 12 volt battery with a 70 ampere hour rating, or better, and a minimum of 2.0 minutes cold starting capacity at 300 amperes discharge, zero degrees fahrenheit and a 10 second voltage rating of 7.5 volts."

I have no clue what this means. Can anyone help?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Battery for a 1977 evinrude 75hp motor?

Any good car battery will have that potential and most have a much higher capacity.
What you should look for when buying a boat or marine marine battery is a set of double poles. This means that not only should it have the traditional round stud that you find on all car batteries,but also next to it a thinner threaded bolt like stud with a butterfly nut on it.This is on both the positive and the negative side of the battery. This will enable you to easily hook up things like lights or a bilge pump
Another reason for buying a marine battery is the sturdyness of the material. A car battery does not get banged around a lot, but a boat battery gets beaten up quite often. marine batteries are designed for that sort of action,car batteries often go bad because of it.

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A Group 24 Marine dual purpose (start/deepcycle) lead acid is pretty much standard. Don't pay a lot of money for it and count on replacing it every two years if properly maintained.

lderboater

Cadet

Thanks so much for the help and info. I really appreciate it.