2002 115 Hp FICHT shifting issues

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The issues started when I could hear a faint clicking noise if I spun the prop by hand when it was in neutral. If I moved the shifter back in forth with the engine off and then put it back in neutral the prop would spin freely without any click. It seems to have gotten worse as it does not always like to shift into reverse where it used to and I have to push the throttle back further to get it to shift. No problem shifting into forward. I attempted to adjust the cables by taking the clamp that hold them in place and adjusting the trunions but could not get the problem to go away. My question is: ? Are my cables junk or do I need to completely disconnect them from the motor while it is in neutral and then start adjusting? I have read the top secret file.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 115 Hp FICHT shifting issues

Take the shift cable off and see how much play you have in it back and forth.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As boobie says see how much play you have, if you have more than 3/16 to 1/4 that's too much. In the past we were told to put a two foot loop in front of the engine that's not required any more, as a matter of fact that was guide was responsible for many gear case failures. if you take your cable and make it as straight as possible and the slack goes away then your cable was too long. I would replace the shift cable with the new extreme cable, yes it's a eighty dollar cable but compared to a 1,600 hundred dollar gear case rebuild that's cheap. One more note don't slow shift put it in gear like you mean it, a loud glunk is better than the ratching sound.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Woody, are you sure they still don't say to put a 12 " loop in the cables before going into the mtr ?? With this set up the cables won't bind when steering the mtr.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I will pull off the lower cowl so I can get at the attachments and check out the play. The more I read the more it looks like bad cables they are original 2002 and the boat gets a ton of use and sits out side during the winter. I have also noticed it creeps up and down when I'm trolling , another sign of play?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

boobie I don't think they much care any more, all the prerigs seem to come with just enough cable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Woody, I guess I'm just to much "old school". LOL