Can I install brakes on one axle but not the other?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
All, I have a tandem axle trailer rated 6000 pounds with drum brakes on all 4 tiers. I am replacing the drum with disk and I was wondering if brakes on one axle only would do the job?! If yes, which axle is better front or rear?

If not and I need to install 4 of them, what problem we are trying to avoid by doing so. In other words, what would be the problem with installing brakes on one axle only?

Thanks in advance

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Can I install brakes on one axle but not the other?

Depends on your state laws. In MN you are required to have brakes on all wheels once the trailer exceeds 3000 lbs

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Depends on your state laws. In MN you are required to have brakes on all wheels once the trailer exceeds 3000 lbs
Very true, there's a sticky on this site that will tell you. Brakes on one axle work OK, that's what mine runs with few problems. The brakes work pretty hard and get quite hot. I put Kodiak discs on the rear axle to replace my drums a few years ago. I'm going to add the front axle this spring to even out the load.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Thank you guys, brakes for the two axle it is.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just don't think you can have "too much" braking power. Just my $.02

oldjeep

Admiral

Very true, there's a sticky on this site that will tell you.

The info in that sticky is pretty useless. Best bet is to actually look at the laws for your state.