Winterizing 200Hp Ficht Outboard

gscaton1

Seaman
Just curious taking your motor in to a pretty good shop, changing both fuel filter, water separators in motor and out of motor, new spark plugs and indexing them and doing what ever they do, what is a good price for having that done. I hear so many different prices but just curious what is a good price done by a good mechanic. thanks

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing 200Hp Ficht Outboard

Parts will run you about $60. Get a spark plug socket a can of fogging oil and do it yourself.
Very simple to change the filters. They screw off. To get the one in the engine, take the lower cowling off on that side then the filter just unscrews and drops right down. There's a probe that comes down into the filter so be sure to drop the filter completely down to clear this probe.
As for winterizing, put extra stabilizer in your gas, start the motor, let it warm up, remove the plastic cover over the air intakes, spray a 2-3 second burst in each intake, shut motor off, pull each plug and spray a 2-3 second burst in each hole. Crank the engine a few rotations without starting it to get the oil circulated.
Put (old) plugs back in and you're good till spring. In the spring, start it up and let all the crap blow off, then shut it down and replace your plugs.
I also spray my exposed electrical connections with WoodyWax to protect them.

I