wont run in water

leftys4js

Recruit
i just recently got my 1st boat..its a 1977 larson 18'<br />with 898 mercruiser type 1 stern..done all my oil changes and plugs stern lube no water..changed it anyway.hooked the muffs up and it started nicely and ran good..thinking i was ready for the water took it out backed it in and a quick fire and it died.tried this several times with the same results..sounded like a car when you flood it.sputtered and die.pulled the cover off and looked around did notice a small drip of water coming from the (what would be exhaust on a car)connected to a big 6-7" round rubber hose leaking right there..would this cause my problem or should i look elswhere.there was no other leaks around the motor.pulled it out of the water,pulled the plugs on the back and side of boat and id say 5-6 gallons of water poured out the back.<br />but there was no water under the engine but the small amount from the hose and exhaust..any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: wont run in water

were the plugs in it before the trip to the dock or did you put the plugs in just before getting the hull wet at the ramp? could onr of the plugs be for a live well?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I suspect water in your fuel....<br />Did you change the water separating fuel filter?<br />I don't think that your exhaust leak is related at all....<br />Try to be more specific with your descption of parts, if possible...<br />I think that between the trailering & change of how the boat sits in the water that you have a water in fuel problem.....<br />Try running it on the water with a separate container of new gas....<br />Change the water separater first, if so equipped.... <br />Post back with results......<br />Hope this helps! :) .....JK

leftys4js

Recruit

the 2 plugs i used are the only 2 that came with the boat...the previous owner showed me were they were too go..and they were snug..i put them in before putting the boat in..<br />Haut Medoc i will try your suggestion ..like i stated it is my 1st boat so unfamiliar with parts but i looked around abit and think what i was speaking of is the exhaust boot.coming off the exhaust elbow..i just filled the boat with gas..it is an internal tank in the front of the boat..after reading your post is it possible that some of the 5-6 gallons of water that poured out could have entered the tank??<br />and again suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks

harveje

Seaman

Would a blocked exhaust cause this? When you got home did you run it on the muffs again?