"Snake oil" that worked!

halfmoa

Ensign
Ok, we've all seen hundreds of "snake oil" treatments that claim to do miraculous things when added to gasoline, transmissions, axles, headlights, oxidized plastics, windshields etc but today I bought a bottle of Lucas Oil Transmission Fix for my wife's 2004 Dodge Durango. It has a jumping/shuddering sort of feeling during acceleration when the torque converter is locked....or I should say it HAD a jumping/shuddering sort of feeling. This product worked and quite honestly I'm amazed.

Anyone else have such a story? And let me add that "I've always added XXX to my YYY and never had any problems" doesn't count, I'm looking for "I had AAA problem and BBB fixed it" stories.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: "Snake oil" that worked!

Anyone else have such a story? And let me add that "I've always added XXX to my YYY and never had any problems" doesn't count, I'm looking for "I had AAA problem and BBB fixed it" stories.

I have probably 1/2 dozen...just like that.
The common denominator was/is that there was a fundamental problem with each of the affected systems, and the "cure" was a temporary respite only.

Example: leaking clutch slave cylinder. someone told me that auto transmission fluid swells hydraulic seals and should re-seal the system. Worked like a charm for ~ 4 weeks....then had a total clutch hydraulic failure.

Just delayed the inevitable. :)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

After several reseals or top and bottom tanks, a dozen cans of powdered radiator stop leak in a D9L Caterpillar's folded core type radiator. It went 8000 hours after that without leaking. It was the stuff that looks like pepper.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I used the Lucas power steering stop leak on my last 2 Dodge Caravans. It worked great as long as I kept adding it:D But seriously, it did slow down the leaking and it would periodically stop, so it did work, but then nothing can overpower the need of a Dodge Caravan to leak power steering fluid.

bigdee

Commander

someone told me that auto transmission fluid swells hydraulic seals and should re-seal the system. Worked like a charm for ~ 4 weeks....then had a total clutch hydraulic failure.

Just delayed the inevitable. :)

"swells seals" common to see this on the label of additives. To "swell seals" is phase one of the total destruction of seals!

matt167

Captain

I had a truck with a leaky slave cyl. When I started to feel the gears collide during a shift, I topped it off with brake fluid and kept on going. Usually went about a couple weeks before needing a top off.

Trans fix works because of the extra friction modifiers that are in it and some are thicker so it can make the solenoids less leaky. Prolongs the life of worn components..

I have 1 'mix' fix. Had a '65 Rambler American, with the 195.6" 6cyl. It wasn't solid, but it ran, drove and it was pretty cool to drive. Engine was completely worn out and left a blue cloud wherever it went. I was burning 1 qt/400 miles. Engine/Valves were so worn that it only made between 8-12 HG of vac. On real bad days, I could stall it pulling away from a stoplight because there was no vac to pull gas out of the Jets. I used seafoam down the carb weekly along with Marvel Mystery Oil. The Seafoam cleaned the valves, and the MMO helped to reseat them. It would go from 8 HG to 12 HG while watching the gauge on the engine, and it worked every time. I had the windshield washer tank/ pump from an Old Ford tempo, that I was considering putting on the firewall and filling it with MMO to introduce into the carb. Sold the car before I did that. It was actually going to get an EFI 302/AOD but when it came down to it, the car was just too far gone to put that much $$ into.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I used some kind of stop leak/refrigerant/lube oil in a can to fix a leak in my wife's car's AC system. It actually worked, and has been good for 3 years now. I was and am still amazed.

bigdee

Commander

Blew the head gasket on a '95 4 cylinder s-10 in 2000. Water was pouring out between head and block....Bars stop leak fixed it and truck is still going 12 years later. Sometimes a home remedy works, like using Dextron II in a slipping ford transmission. Using Cascade dishwasher detergent for a cooling system flush. Toothpaste to restore headlight lens. Kerosene/ATF mix to clean a sludge-up engine. Pouring water into the intake to de-carbonize and free sticky valves.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Ok, we've all seen hundreds of "snake oil" treatments that claim to do miraculous things when added to gasoline, transmissions, axles, headlights, oxidized plastics, windshields etc but today I bought a bottle of Lucas Oil Transmission Fix for my wife's 2004 Dodge Durango. It has a jumping/shuddering sort of feeling during acceleration when the torque converter is locked....or I should say it HAD a jumping/shuddering sort of feeling. This product worked and quite honestly I'm amazed.

Why not just do a proper filter and fluid change? make sure you use the proper fluid. ATF +4. NOT Mercon, NOT Dexron or you WILL take out a Mopar trans.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Trans fix works because of the extra friction modifiers that are in it and some are thicker so it can make the solenoids less leaky. Prolongs the life of worn components..

that and if the shuddering was due to worn planetary bands not being able to grip adequately, this will tighten up the clearances. bad thing is if the bands are worn, they are most likely glazed and after a little more use, the rest of the material will be wiped off the band surfaces and the trans will still have to be rebuilt.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

My wife's 02 Explorer had a radiator leak that I couldn't locate. It was loosing about 1/2 gallon a week but only when it was driven but not when it was sitting there idling. I added a bottle of Bar's liquid aluminum and after a few days of being driven, no more leak.

TilliamWe

Banned

halfmoa, I am hoping for some similiar results on my 2005 Chevy Venture van. It "slips" at take off from a light about 1 once every 20 minutes, and shifts hard most of the time, after it warms up. (My 04 Impala started doing that at 90k miles and was still doing it at 134k when I sold it). When I changed the trans filter last weekend, it was pretty obvious that it had never been changed, and the van has 173k miles on it!

Rad stop leak has worked twice for me/my dad. First time was when the lower fitting on his Ford 8N was leaking after the tractor hit a tree and the fan blades made contact with the rad. Two cans and no more leak for 2 years. I also used it to fix a leak in my 1987 Chevy van. It worked for 5.5 years, before I junked the van.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bar's Leak is the worst thing you could put in your cooling system. Why not pull the radiator and replace or get it repaired? Pretty simple repair. Put in that stuff and you will be replacing your clogged up heater core...a not so easy repair.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

"swells seals" common to see this on the label of additives. To "swell seals" is phase one of the total destruction of seals!

????
Did you read what I posted?
Clearly you didn't understand it.
In this case, the extra 4 weeks was very much acceptable...the seals were already leaking badly when I added the tranny fluid.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bar's Leak is the worst thing you could put in your cooling system. Why not pull the radiator and replace or get it repaired? Pretty simple repair. Put in that stuff and you will be replacing your clogged up heater core...a not so easy repair.

I've used Bars Leak in half a dozen vehicles over my fifty-six years of driving and it's always worked and never clogged my systems. It was a good solution to a heater core leak at least once in a situation where I absolutely did not have the option of tearing the interior out to do a "proper" fix. That core never leaked again.

Lucas transmission conditioner restored proper shifting in a five year old '97 Ranger, and that too never recurred.

Never tried any of the engine stuff though. Guess I never had the need.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've used Bars Leak in half a dozen vehicles over my fifty-six years of driving and it's always worked and never clogged my systems. It was a good solution to a heater core leak at least once in a situation where I absolutely did not have the option of tearing the interior out to do a "proper" fix. That core never leaked again.

Lucas transmission conditioner restored proper shifting in a five year old '97 Ranger, and that too never recurred.

Never tried any of the engine stuff though. Guess I never had the need.

looks at location...lives in milwaukee.

now I see. you try that crap down here in charleston where its over 100*F for damn near 3/4 the year and you'll be overheating in no time. that crap LOVES to clog all the small passages in radiators. sure it clogs the leak...and the rest of the radiator from flowing coolant.

bigdee

Commander

looks at location...lives in milwaukee.

now I see. you try that crap down here in charleston where its over 100*F for damn near 3/4 the year and you'll be overheating in no time. that crap LOVES to clog all the small passages in radiators. sure it clogs the leak...and the rest of the radiator from flowing coolant.

True if too much is used but of all the stop leaks available Bars is the safest and is even re-branded and sold by GM at their dealerships. I have used it for years with no issues whatsoever. I use it every time I do a flush & coolant change. Ford and GM used that stuff in every new car that came off the assembly line. The newer cars today use silicate free anti-freeze...silicate is a stop leak (water glass) so Bars used as preventative maintenance is not a bad idea. I remember seeing a TSB from Ford years ago concerning discolored coolant on new vehicles and that it was caused by the factory installed stop leak and not a problem. I think this myth about clogging radiators got started by the Dexcool fiasco. Dexcool (If not maintained) will turn into an acidic mud and will cause leaks....then someone will add stop leak to the system that is already clogged and this stuff will then finish it off. BY the way most cars use an organic OAT or dexcool clone....so keep a close eye on your cooling systems. I like to change mine every 2 years....if it ever turns brown it it will eat pinholes in your system and eat gaskets.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Over the years, I have used the black pepper trick on radiators, always keep a can in the truck, it has got me back from deep woods hunting trip more than once!

When I was in the service, you would be amazed at the different tricks we used to get vehicles back to the motor pool!

halfmoa

Ensign

When I was in the service, you would be amazed at the different tricks we used to get vehicles back to the motor pool!

LOL, it's amazing what you'll do to a vehicle when it's not yours. ;)

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

The lucas tranny fix is what's keeping my work van rolling!

Sure it's not the same as rebuilding but it's getting to a diminishing returns point anyway, why spend another $1,500 to still have something only worth $1,000.

This tool is about been used up time for a new one, until then Lucas costs me about $1 a month and work goes on.