Help with Johnson 6hp, running but no re-start

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I posed earlier in the season about my new-to-me johnson 6hp tiller. Hoped that I would get her on the water but probably not likely until spring. She is currently still sitting in a barrel in the back yard. Here is my original post http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/2000-johnson-6hp-2stroke-help-547575.html

Correct plugs, over-stabilized pre-mix to help clear out carb. I have yet to do a full tear down on the carb, so far I've just pulled the float and gotten the needle in the seat un-stuck, plan on doing a full carb teardown/rebuild soon, plus the pump and impeller.

This motor has been outside in the barrel all summer. I go up to it, squeeze the fuel bulb and it's always fairly firm as is, pull the cord 2-4 times and she starts right up. Takes a little throttle to keep her going at first. No choke necessary. Then she idles pretty well, and after running a good amount of good gas with a heavy dose of startron through her, she revs up and down and everything is all good, seems ready for the water. Tell-tale pees good, never felt it hot, even after letting it idle for 10 minutes or so. In gear, in neutral, seems like this motor is ready to hit the water. Then, usually after having this thing running swimmingly for 15 or so minutes, if I rev her up, and cut the throttle out quick, she dies, and I can't restart her. I give up, basically, after 15 or so good pulls. If I come back an hour later, starts right back up.

So I know I need to fully rebuild the carb, but what exactly would be causing it to stall and not want to start again after running well, no perfectly well, but good enough, for 15 or so minutes??

Also, at idle, water not only comes out of the tell tale but also out of the upper exhaust at the back?? Hard to tell when revved higher but I don't think it happens when it's above idle (running in a 55 gallon drum).

Thanx for any input!!

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Help with Johnson 6hp, running but no re-start

Do a spark test during the no start condition.
I think you're on the right path rebuilding the carb.

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, will do. I'm starting to wonder if someone put the thermostat in backwards, as it pees good at first, and gets less as it goes, never feel any warm water.

Also, how hot should cylinder heads get? Not very hot, right? I'm thinking maybe backwards thermostat....Great, I'll try not to break bolts!

StormDK

Cadet

Hard or no start at all when warmed up could be condensers being bad.
Did not check your former post saying its a 2000 model, so forget this.

Last edited: