1989 Mercruiser 3.0 Coil is apparently shot. Where can I get a new one?

seano

Cadet
Hi Folks: I am new to this forum but it is incredibly helpful so first I want to say THANKS for all the great info.

I got married last summer and the wife came with a boat and a motor! Its a Canadian thing :) Father in law gave me a 1989 sea ray BR 160 with a mercruiser 3.0.
It ran pretty good overall but I went to start it to do the winterization and it would crank but not start. I used a spark plug tool and there is no spark. I used the troubleshooting guide from this forum and it looks like my coil is shot. Maybe you guys can confirm it:

I get no conductivity with a multimeter between the center terminal and either of the + or - side terminals. I should get around 10,000 Ohms right? Between the - and +terminals I get 1.5 Ohms.

From this I deduce that the high voltage winding (secondary) is open and the coil is shot right?
I may have other problems too but I assume I need a new coil.
The coil is a blue streak UC-12x. Are these easy to find?
Can I just go to NAPA and get a replacement or should I go to the local Marine store to buy anew coil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is getting colder here and I need to start the boat in order to winterize it.

Cheers
Sean

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 Mercruiser 3.0 Coil is apparently shot. Where can I get a new one?

Hi Folks: I am new to this forum but it is incredibly helpful so first I want to say THANKS for all the great info.

I got married last summer and the wife came with a boat and a motor! Its a Canadian thing :) Father in law gave me a 1989 sea ray BR 160 with a mercruiser 3.0.
It ran pretty good overall but I went to start it to do the winterization and it would crank but not start. I used a spark plug tool and there is no spark. I used the troubleshooting guide from this forum and it looks like my coil is shot. Maybe you guys can confirm it:

I get no conductivity with a multimeter between the center terminal and either of the + or - side terminals. I should get around 10,000 Ohms right? Between the - and +terminals I get 1.5 Ohms.

From this I deduce that the high voltage winding (secondary) is open and the coil is shot right?
I may have other problems too but I assume I need a new coil.
The coil is a blue streak UC-12x. Are these easy to find?
Can I just go to NAPA and get a replacement or should I go to the local Marine store to buy anew coil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is getting colder here and I need to start the boat in order to winterize it.

Cheers
Sean

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Is there power at the (+) terminal, when the key is on,..??

Are there Points in the distributor,..??

seano

Cadet

Yes there is 10.7 volts on the + side.
Yes there are points in the ignition

seano

Cadet

I forgot to mention. NO Spark.
I will have to get back to it next week. That is the soonest I can get to it.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

It is getting colder here and I need to start the boat in order to winterize it.

Not if you're subscribing to the "ADF"(AirDon'tFreeze) method.

The "High Points"(Minimalist)
Drain the block, manifold completely.(I also use compressed air to push any excess out)
Drain and replace the sterndrive lube/engine oil.
Pull/check/replace the water-seperator.
You're done.

No starting required.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes there is 10.7 volts on the + side.
Yes there are points in the ignition

Ayuh,... Then change the points, as they fire the coil...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your coil is dead. You need to replace it. You should have around 10,000 ohms as you stated.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations....on the boat!

Hope the wife works out too.

seano

Cadet

Congratulations....on the boat!

Hope the wife works out too.

Bought a Clymer Manual for the Mercruiser; can't find one for the Wife!

Can anybody help me find one for her?

Seano

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bought a Clymer Manual for the Mercruiser; can't find one for the Wife!Can anybody help me find one for her?

Well, ah, you made 2 mistakes in your statement.
1-buying a Clymer Manual which you should know is a no-no so check out the Adults Only section for a real Merc manual
2-even thinking there might be one for a female Newfie.......

BTW: my mom is from Newfoundland and I have several Aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc. that still live there so maybe in some weird way we might be related in which case, I'll never mention about you buying the Clymer.

Mark

airshot

Rear Admiral

HMMMMM all the wife manuals that I have found have been in laguages that NO one can read, I been lookin for 45 years. The boat problems will be much simplier!!

Airshot

Maybe the Clymer manual will work better for a wife than it does for a boat !? :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Since nobody else is being very helpful (guys!!!).... I'll help solve one of your problems... (in 2 ways :D)

Engine manual (assuming the engine and the boat are the same year. you need to clarify that with a serial number engine and drive). -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfUVREOHFDUGZRR1NDelg5blYybmNRdw

Drive manual -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfOVRUNEk0anBUR3lQYTkwcUh5RElUQQ

As for the manual for the wife? I used the opposite technique... I gave the wife a user manual on me... Works a treat!

Humor: Mens Rules for Women

Good luck,

Chris........... :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

LMAO....and how long were you on the couch....er, I mean camping??????

Mark

She saw the humour... (but it has been very helpful since, as when there is a misunderstanding, I just direct her the 'The rules') :D

seano

Cadet
Just reading some of these posts now :) Very funny Guys! I must be doing something right cause we are still married! Life got very very busy and I did not do anything more with the boat since those old posts. I am bringing it to a guy who is a wizard with Mercruisers today. I think the coil was shot. I replaced it and it measures the correct Ohms. The points were new but I suspect there is a problem with them as somebody mentioned. Cheers
Sean

seano

Cadet
Just reading some of these posts now :) Very funny Guys! I must be doing something right cause we are still married! Life got very very busy and I did not do anything more with the boat since those old posts. I am bringing it to a guy who is a wizard with Mercruisers today. I think the coil was shot. I replaced it and it measures the correct Ohms. The points were new but I suspect there is a problem with them as somebody mentioned. Thanks for the helpful and funny posts, I'll let you know how I make out. Cheers
Sean