testing checking 2 yellow stator wires 1995 60hp evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillnjack2

Ensign
EVINRUDE 1995 60HP 3 CYLINDER
Model no BE60TLEOC.

I am having trouble with getting the battery charging and rev counter working on my engine.

I have tried various rectifiers/regulators etc and i am now wondering if i have a stator problem ???

Today with engine running i put my multi meter on the two (2) yellow wires comming from the stator.
I didnt get anything with the red lead from mulit meter on yellow and black lead from multi meter on
yellow with grey stripe, also tried this the other way round and still nothing.

With the black lead from meter to ground and red lead from meter to yellow i then got exactly 12 volts.
Same with the yellow/grey wire.
Even when throttled up still no gain involtage, the battery is exactly 12 volts as well (i know it needs a charge).

should the 2 yellow wires give a higher voltage than just the same as a low battery ?

is this about correct from a stator or should i have got more voltage from it ?

the engine starts and runs so i assume the stator is giving the cdi unit its currant but just not sending a
charging currant ?
does this sound as if im testing it right ?

i realy am getting fed up with the electrics on this engine, and dont want to be buying stuff for it if its not needed.

please help or tell me what im doing wrong, as i need to get this engine running right, i am fed up with charging
batteries and having to carry them down to the boat.

plus i need the rev counter working obviously .

phill.................

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: testing checking 2 yellow stator wires 1995 60hp evinrude

surely somebody can tell me how to check a stator ?

ive got a spare but dont know if thats any good, is there a way of bench testing ?

phill

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yellow wires disconnected..... Engine NOT running.

Meter leads connected between the two yellow wires... you should get a very high reading, almost like a dead short. Some other member can give the exact reading.

Now, meter set to high ohms.... there should be absolutely no reading at all between either yellow lead and ground.

There's no doubt an output test but I don't have the book on it.

daselbee

Commander

What was the meter SET ON? For the test you describe, with the meter leads across the two yellows, it should be set on AC volts, the 50v scale, depending on meter. When idling, it should be putting out about 18-24 volts AC (maybe a bit lower, but certainly MORE than 14 VAC for sure), and should rise sharply as you throttle it up.

You can not damage anything while doing this. Feel free to disconnect the yellows and measure all you want. Don't short any leads together or to ground, of course.

Remember....regarding Joe's testing....that the engine should be off, and battery disconnected. No voltage should ever be applied to a circuit when you are measuring OHMS.

phillnjack2

Ensign

well i got no reading at all when i put the leads on the two yellow wires with engine running.

so i take it this sounds like a bad stator.

now how do i get the stator off ?

phill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll have to pull the flywheel to get at it. Easy job if you have the tools.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Ok just went out and got myself a new harmonic balance puller to help get the flywheel off.
Is there any particular tricks to getting the flywheel off ?
am i going to be trying to get it off not knowing that there is some silly thing hidden holden it on
or just simply wait and use plenty of penetration oil till it just pops of the keyway.

phill.....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Make sure that the bolts are securely inserted. If no stop shoulder exists, 1/2" of threads inserted should be fine (all bolts same height).

Apply as much pressure to the threaded center spindle of the puller as possible (a lot!).

Use some kind of pry under the flywheel to lift it slightly (remove end play).

Belt the center spindle of that puller hard and straight down with a good size hammer. That should do it.

phillnjack2

Ensign

well im gonna go and give it a try now

will report back with results later.

phill

phillnjack2

Ensign

Ok here is whats happened now

so down to the garage i went with new harmonic puller and big hammer ha ha

First of all i put plenty of penetrating oil on the flywheel main nut and in the three threads to be used by the puller.

After struggling with a large adjustable wrench a 5ft scaffold pole to undo the flywheel nut, i then proceeded to do
attach the puller to the flywheel.:)
once all three bolts were in and tight i then tightened the main centre bolt realy tight.
Then it was time for the Hammer, this took a lot more wallops than i expected and thought it was never going to
pop off.:facepalm:
I was about to leave it under stress for a day, but gave it one last clout and it came free with a loud POP.:)
Once this was off it was simply undo three small bolts to release the stator.
Then i find the wiring comes out pretty easy all apart from the black and yellow wire that was put through
a hole on its own
I simply pushed this out through the plug and all came away very easy.:p

I have taken a few pics of what ive now got off and can very easy see a bad flaw in the design of the stator wires.
Where they bend to come down to the plug is where they have split the plastic and i will be putting some silicone
on the wires to stop any arcing etc and hopefully stop the wires from braking as it would not be possible to repair the
wires due to them being so close to where they go into the stator.:mad:

I was suprised to find the stator being a fully enclosed affair, as ive only seen the older type that have the coils visible.

I have checked the 2 yellow wires for continuity and that seems to be good on this stator.

i also get continuity on the orange and orange and black stripe wires, is this good sign ?

Top of flywheel
flywheel 1.jpg
underneath flywheel
flywheel 2.jpg

Broken plastic casing on a yellow wire
Broken plastic on yellow wire 1.jpg
Stator
stator.jpg
Stator close up
DSCF1200.jpg

phill...........:)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll have to get the proper specs and check the ohm values of the stator. Try CDI Electronics.com.

phillnjack2

Ensign

cheers Boobie, will go have a look on their site right now.

I realy dont know if this is a good one, but im pretty sure the one on my engine fitted to the boat is broken.

As i think everyone on here knows i am terrible with electrical stuff.

phill..

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

surely somebody can tell me how to check a stator ?

ive got a spare but dont know if thats any good, is there a way of bench testing ?

phill

throw in the spare and see if that sorts it , if so issue solved and throw away the original, cuts out all that testing.

phillnjack2

Ensign

i think its best to test it while its all off if possible
dont want to have to strip it down again if it turns out to be no good.

i do hope it is a good one, but if a bench test was possible it would seem silly not to test it.
I know my old one is ok on the ignition side, but the charge side was showing up dead.
Now this one shows the charge side to be ok (so far on bench test) but dont know how to test the
ignition side without the motor running (hopefully).

i do hope today or tommor will be the fitting day and testing etc.
Once i get charging and rev counter ill be happy as then i can make sure im not over revving with the 13x19 prop.

On my little orkney dory this engine is ballistic, i can get to over 40mph in around 3 seconds.
Time to plane cannot be measured as the boat jumps out of the water if the throttle is just slammed forward.
With the 13.5x15 alloy prop that was fitted to the engine when i got it, its dangerous as the boat try's to flip over
backwards when the throttle is slammed forward.
Even with the 19 inch pitch prop the engine is under hardly any strain at all and over revving is what i dont want to be doing.
plus im fed up with having to re-charge the battery after each run.

phill

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The only bench test you could do (to my knowledge) would be via post/reply #3.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What did CDI Electronics say about ohm values ??

phillnjack2

Ensign

CDI dont say much at all about how to check the stator type i have.:redface:

But i did check the 2 yellow wires again from the engine and nothing at all,complete zero
check the ones on the spares and do get continuity as it should do.

Today i attacked the engine and could not get the flywheel off, ive almost destroyed the puller.:mad:
I have it so tight you wouldnt believe it, then belted the s**t out of it and still nothing.
I even managed to mushroom the top of the centre on the puller,but have repaired that.
ive left it with plenty of penetrating oil (wd 40) soaking over night,it just might help.

I had to give up today as i was getting annoyed with it and would of ended up doing more damage than good :(
So if tommorow is dry then i might just get the flywheel off and change the stator.:rolleyes:

The flywheel nut wasnt a problem, its just getting the flywheel off the taper and key way.
I realy dont see the need for a taper on a flywheel, the keyway yes thats obvious.
I think a keyway and a split pin would of been ample, carengines dont have a taper on the fly wheel, and lorries dont either
so i cant see why the outboard does.
If it had a split pin on a castlated nut that would make getting flywheel off a lot easier.

Still thats how it is, and tommorow its comming off somehow ha ha
here is a couple of pics to show the puller im using on the flywheel.

.puller 1.jpgpuller 2.jpg

tommorow i hope to show with flywheel off ..:p

phill...:)

daselbee

Commander

I know you are trying....but that puller is a bit light for the job.
You should be using a much heavier tool.

But regardless, I have had very good luck by heating the flywheel and crank nose.
People on here will recommend heating with a torch, but I have not had luck with that.
I have used a heat gun like is used for stripping paint or heat shrinking tubing.....that type of heat gun.
I turn it on, set it up very close to the crank nose ( 1" or so away), and go away for an hour or two.
The heat gun heats the whole area to the point that you cannot touch it, and it is I guess, an "even heat soaking"
for lack of a better term. It doesn't burn any paint either.

Using the heavy puller, heating like that, the flywheels pop off. I use it for L/U bearing carriers too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't use a torch on the flywheel as it could screw up the magnets.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Well after a lot of swearing and shouting at the engine and telling it, its a pile s**t,
the flywheel came off. .:facepalm:
I realy cannot believe how much pressure i had to put on it.:eek:
I had a 3 ft long heavy duty truck socket bar on it and it was bending a lot, i mean about 4 inches.
I had let it soak in penetrating oil for 2 days, gave it plenty of wallops with a 4lb club hammer as well.
But eventualy after about 1 hour trying to get it loose the flywheel came off today with a loud pop.
Didnt use any heat as i dont think it would of made much difference to this.

I then noticed the stator bolts were not tight like i expected,but pretty loose.
there was a fair bit of movement in it to be honest.
The 2 yellow wires had at some time been burning and the yellow with grey stripe is completey broken.
Ofcourse its right at the bottom by the stator so dont know if this can be repaired or not.
So its pretty obvious this is the cause of no rev counter and no charging.
But what causes this to happen ? :confused:
is it just the way the wires gent bent or is there another reason for this.
I just managed to stop the spare stator from doing the same thing, and hope my repair lasts a fair while.

Now before i try and get the flywheel torqued up, is there any particular way of making sure the stator bolts
dont come loose again.
Is it ok to use a liquid thread lock on these ? and what torque should the stator bolts be at. ?

Now also can a bad stator fry the rectifier ?
and can a bad rectifier damage the stator ?:confused:

also silly question time, ofcourse i didnt take any notice of the wires to go back on.
But i presume its yellow with grey stripe to yellow with grey stripe, and plain yellow to plain yellow.

pic below of cut/broken stator wire (yellow with grey stripe )

stator wires cut 1.jpg

and thanks to everyone who has given advice on this topic, i would of probably broken something by now
if advice had not been given and taken !!!!

im almost an outboard electrician now ha ha ha definitely only joking:p

phill..........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.