15' tunnel hull hydroplane (Seebold?)

SnowPro1986

Cadet
I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for any info on a project boat I just picked up. It's a 15' black tunnel hull hydroplane with Mercury and APBA decals on it.

I believe it came from Crandon, WI, and it has a old decal that was painted over that says "Bodyworks Unlimited" which is an auto repair shop out of Three Lakes,WI. It also has a racing style number 57 on the rear of it, which was also painted over.

I plan on sanding all of the old paint off of it, putting epoxy and paint on it, and putting on a 66 Merc 95 HP motor on the back. Any info on this boat is appreciated. Thanks!

IMAG0765.jpg

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0767.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 15' tunnel hull hydroplane (Seebold?)

sorry I don't know anything about the boat, but it looks like a cool project!

nwcove

Admiral

geez.....everytime i look at those pics i become more envious!!!! :D

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

That's a tunnel hull, not a hydroplane. It's a mid-late 1960's boat, chances are. The engine you're using is perfect to keep it authentic.

Remember that this is a full race boat, and it's a very, very light hull. Just be careful until you get used to its very distinct personality.

Expect it to corner better than anything you've ever been in--including an automobile. These boats do get pretty unstable on a gusty, windy day, and can get you in trouble. You might want to use a better quality flotation device than normal.

SnowPro1986

Cadet

attachment.php

That's an 83 Molinari and it looks almost identical to mine. The guys on the scream and fly website say that the 95 won't be enough and I should go with a 150. I'm gonna try the 95 first though and see how it feels.

Thanks for the info and compliments. Here's some more pictures!

IMAG0769.jpg

IMAG0776.jpg

IMAG0775.jpg

IMAG0772.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

i agree that the 95hp is a good starting point. the boat should be plenty fast to make you :D ! and will make more G's in a tight turn than most mortals would be comfy with!! but before ya get too deep into the project.....would ya trade for a 12ft tinny with a vintage 10hp omc!!?? :p

SnowPro1986

Cadet

Not gonna trade it yet, let's wait and see how many headaches it gives me before I get it back together, then I may change my mind!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Tunnels will get up on a layer of air when up to speed.

We used to run a Flying Dutchman 18' tunnel hull in the early 1970's. After coming out of smooth water into big lake whitecaps, the speedometer jumped 10 mph because the waves lifted the hull higher out of the water. And, it gets pretty scary in a gusty wind when the nose starts heading for the sky. And, that was in a boat 500 lbs. heavier than the one you've got.

You've just got to be very, very careful until you get some time under you. You may need to find someone that races boats to setup the motor height and propeller--even with 95 horsepower. That boat will scream with so little weight.

Jeep Man

Commander

Hard to fish from, but I see there's room for a live well behind the seat.:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wonder how difficult it would be to add a wakeboard tower??