Tunnel hull hydroplane

SnowPro1986

Cadet
I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for any info on a project boat I just picked up. It's a 15' black tunnel hull hydroplane with Mercury and APBA decals on it.

I believe it came from Crandon, WI, and it has a old decal that was painted over that says "Bodyworks Unlimited" which is an auto repair shop out of Three Lakes,WI. It also has a racing style number 57 on the rear of it, which was also painted over.

I plan on sanding all of the old paint off of it, putting epoxy and paint on it, and putting on a 66 Merc 95 HP motor on the back. Any info on this boat is appreciated. Thanks!

IMAG0765.jpg

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0767.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Tunnel hull hydroplane

nice looking lil toy.....should look great cleaned up with the merc on the stern. id repost in the hull repair, restoration forum. lotsa knowledgeable guys there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

damn... I used to have one just like it.... I got it cheap with some damage to one sponson.... I ended up burning it nearly 15 years ago because I lost my storage..... I sure wish I still had it

BTW google "champ boat" those things IIRC would pull 3 G's in a turn
for comparison I believe the original corvette zr1 would pull 0.9 G

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ya got to be patient, may not get any more responses in total, and makes it harder to keep track when you have 2 threads asking the same questions:
15' tunnel hull hydroplane (Seebold?)

Nice looking tunnel, is the 15' hull rated for more then the 95? Looks like it'll haul w/ that Merc on there.

Best of luck getting it buttoned up & back on the water.

Welcome to iboats. I look forward to tagging along...

SnowPro1986

Cadet

So I guess this isn't a hydroplane at all, just a tunnel hull. All I've owned before this were a couple bass boats so this is new to me.

I posted this same thread on a different website also, and I was told that the 95 might not be enough for the boat. It kind of surprises me after seeing other (shorter) boats like this with only 35/40hp motors on them. Although I think the original owner had a 125 on it to begin with.

I'm learning as I go so any insight on the restoration process or anything at all would be helpful. The first thing I'm going to need to figure out is which type of epoxy to use to seal the wood before I paint it.

Thanks for the replies

Ned L

Commander

uhm, .... So what are your plans for it???? That is a competitive raceboat, not much you can do with it for pleasure use (not practical). I'm not to much into the hydroplane classes, but I bet if you go to either the APBA website or vintage hydroplane website you will find info on it. -- You won't find a 'capacity plate' or anything like that, it was built as a class raceboat (it probably ran about 100+mph) --- think Nascar on the water.

SnowPro1986

Cadet

My best guess is that the boat weighs closer to 200 than 300, and the motor is around 270ish.

I plan to reseal it, paint it, and make it go fast! I don't know the rules on what can or can't be ran on the water, but I was hoping to be able to register it and take it out on the Eagle River chain of lakes in northern WI a couple times, and then possibly run it in the boat Shootout/Radar Run they have in Three Lakes,WI.

jestor68

Commander

Attachments

• 200XS-SST.jpg
    200XS-SST.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
  • optimax200xssst_med.png
    optimax200xssst_med.png
    115 KB · Views: 0

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

It kinda looks like a Mirage mod vp hull. The way it kicks up behind the driver and in front of the motor. I would check with these guys Boat Racing Facts Forums If it ran apba these guys might even tell ya who raced it. G/L

Mirage Mod VP

Miragemodvp.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just for having fun, I'd say any 20" motor with a jackplate and a low water pickup would be fine...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7005.jpg100_6066.jpg011.jpg100_6190.jpg

If you register and number it , It will be legal to use on any body of water. If you don't use it at night it does not need nav lights. HOWEVER: Since it was a racing hull, it will not have CG certification and horsepower maximum. Thus, If your state will rate boats, it will either impose a much lower HP max than you want to hang on it or refuse. Either way, you are in for some aggravation.

Here is a 10 foot tunnel that was originally designed for class racing with a Merc 25. When I registered it they wanted to rate it for a 12 HP engine. Right now, the capacity plate rates it for 55--don't ask!

"Too much horsepower is never enough"

SnowPro1986

Cadet

If they won't let me have a big motor I'll just have to make sure I don't get caught :D. I'm pretty sure my boat is a Molinari. A guy on the scream and fly website posted a picture of an 83 Molinari and it looks nearly identical.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yes, I was going to say Molinari, too. I've been looking for one myself as I acquired a Merc 1350 short shaft this summer. Nice find!!