How to determine model number of Evinrude 9.9

Brian A

Cadet
I've recently acquired an older Evinrude 9.9 that is in running condition, but could use a bit of work to get it in tip top shape. The problem I'm having is the the serial number/model plate from the port side is worn off, and I can't figure out the model number. By looking at the engine I know it's in the 1974-1976 ish range. I was able to get the number off the metal disc that is stamped in the powerhead. That number is C0065718, however I can't find anywhere (in online searches) to cross-reference that number to determine the exact model number/year of the motor.

Does anyone know how/where I can cross-reference that number to determine model and year?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: How to determine model number of Evinrude 9.9

hard to pin it down from what appears to be just a serial #. have a closer look for another plug on the block....it may be hidden behind stuff, so use a pen light.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Why not post pictures of 4 sides of the engine and the motor cover. Also a closeup of the cylinder head bolts.

Brian A

Cadet

Well I searched high and low on the head and couldn't find anymore plugs similar to the one with the "serial" number on it. I took some photos of the motor as suggested, and perhaps they will help someone help me.

IMG-20121111-00177.jpgIMG-20121111-00178.jpgIMG-20121111-00179.jpgIMG-20121111-00180.jpgIMG-20121111-00181.jpg

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the photo of the whole motor, the cowling appears to have been repainted. You are right it is between 74 & 76 with magneto ignition. My guess being a 76 because of tjhe "6" in the number on the welch plug. The different model numbers for each year, can relate to different shaft lengths, & or electric start. Usually the first model referred to in each year is a standard length shaft & a rope start.

Brian A

Cadet

Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply! I appreciate the information.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I am pretty sure the welch plug number is a Canadian Johnson serial number, also supported by the booger green paint on the cylinder block. Looks like someone swapped out the short block at some point. Not a huge deal, though, as Evinrude and Johnson were part-for-part identical under the hoods. I see some blue parts bolted onto the green block, so someone has mixed-and-matched this one...

Bottom line - for 99% of what you'll need for your motor as far as service parts go, calling it anything from 1974 to 1976 should get you what you need.