What do you OWN that isn't for sale?

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Got into a small discusison abotu selling some things and I made the statement, "There is nothing that I own that I won't put a price tag on and sell". Got funny looks all around and a couple people mentioned family but I said I don't own them, I'm talking physical property with real ownership.

So just asking, do you have / own something you would flat refuse to sell?

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: What do you OWN that isn't for sale?

There's not one single thing that I wouldn't sell for the right price and anyone who disputes that would change their mind with the right amount of money. There's a Browning A5 automatic in my closet that has significant family history that I wouldn't sell for ten times it's list price...but for ten billion dollars I'd be hard pressed to hang on to her.

Summer Fun

Banned

My collection of scooters. I have 6 of them from 50cc to 250cc. :)

4 of them are still in their shipping crate's from 2005 to 2011.

Heres my daily ride a 2008 Roketa 250cc. :D

View attachment 174368

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

My pickup, my Dad died a year ago and it was his pride and joy. Its not going anywhere. I did remove the running boards because they were rubbing on the rocker panels but other than that its still the same as he left it.
IMAG0386.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I do believe some things would lose all value, once you put a monetary value on it.

These things must be kept and cherished, or given to the right person.
Or possibly destroyed.

I accepted the gift of a dog from a dying friend, because even though I am not a dog person, the friend said I was the only person she would trust to care for this dog.

I don't think I could sell Roscoe, who I fed and raised from the first hour of his life.

Attachments

• 1mee.jpg
    1mee.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

matt167

Captain

My old car, and the boat.

Car I'v had since I was 16, and my grandfather bought the boat brand new in 1961

A month ago, I would have said I wouldn't sell this, but I'v got it listed to fund the boat resto. ve2oh.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sentimental by nature so a quick walk through the house would generate quite the list:

Immediately to mind, most of my artist materials (easels, drawing board, a couple of pencil sharpeners, brushes, etc.) are my Grandfathers. They've been drawn and painted on/with for a couple of generations by my family ... don't think I could give those up for sure.

Now the Admiral, on the other hand ... might just sell a kid or pet ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

.but for ten billion dollars I'd be hard pressed to hang on to her.

I think the Op meant within reason. That is hardly reasonable. For 10 billion, the wife maybe(but she would still end up with half, lol), the kid, still no way........:)

I have a few "old" .22s that were on the wall in the spare bedroom at my grandparents place when I was a kid. Those would never be sold. My deer/fish mounts wouldn't get sold. In fact, in a house fire, I'm grabbing pix(if they can be found easily) and next the mounts. Pretty much everything else, yeah, there's a price......

aspeck

Staff member

I was raised in a car dealership family ... everything is for sale if the price is right!

tpenfield

Staff member

My Tom Brady autographed football and jersey . . .

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I have a set of beer glasses with fish on them that we're my maternal grandfathers and a antique outboard that was my paternal grandfathers. You can't put a price on sentimental value.

I am constantly amazed at the people that appear on Pawn Stars sell family mementos. :facepalm:

BF

Lieutenant

In fact, in a house fire, I'm grabbing pix(if they can be found easily) and next the mounts. Pretty much everything else, yeah, there's a price......

Take the time to digitize ALL those old pict's now, before the house fire or they fade any worse. Save copies off-site (in your office). You'll be glad you did. When my grandparents died, my Dad found an old pict of their farmstead taken from the air in about 1949/1950. I did high res scan of it, photoshopped out all the creases, missing bits etc., and had a dozen or so 8x12 prints made for something like a buck each at Wallyworld. Quality is excellent, and I gave copies to my immediate family and cousins. Feels good to see them hanging in their houses when I visit.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

No material item I own is so important that I could or would keep no matter what. Every material item is just that, the person that gave it is another story.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

The lake house. It's been in the family for four generations now. Soon to be 5.

Summer Fun

Banned

Nope, Talk to my Kids after I die they might sell them. :(

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Both my paternal, and maternal grandfathers guns. Or basically anything passed on by a family member that was either appreciated by them, or have some strong associated memory to them.

Non of them have a price tag, and if I found my self in a position that I for some reason had to part ways with them, they would be given to someone whom I know would value them enough to think twice before selling them. In my opinion selling anything like that (despite the temporary monetary gain) cheapens life, and cherished memories.

Other than that, if it's my crap.... name your price. ;)

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Everything I own could be had for the right price. (-Wife & kids) I am not talking stupid money either, As long as I made a little extra over the going rate, You can have it. For me it's the thrill of the hunt that I like - say if I sold my boat or whatever, The cash would not even make it to the bank and I would be hunting for another. :)

LK

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have my great grandfather's logs and mementos.

They include a piece of the Fort Sumter flag, a bit of fabric from the Halls of Montezuma (the palace at Chapultepec), a piece of shrapnel (from artillery) that he dug from his mattress after the battle of Fort Fisher, a letter from the passengers of the Virginius thanking him for rescuing them from the Spanish in Santiago de Cuba and a few letters from Sam Houston.

More personal stuff includes diaries of his Med cruises in the 1850s, letters and poetry from Mary Elizabeth Fulton (Robert Fulton's niece and eventually my great grandmother) and sea shells picked up in Tahiti in 1850.

I also have an original copy of the October 16, 1862 Harper's Weekly that featured him (with portrait) in a front page story about the battle of Chicamacomico.

There is more.

Most of these things belong in a museum. I would never sell them.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I think I can safely say that 99.5% of everything material I own....I could sell and let go of.:rolleyes:
I'm protecting .5% because I'm sure there is something in that giant pile of accumulation that I ('we') would like to keep.
I do believe that for the right price......everything (99.99%) is usually for sale, despite best sentimental reasons.
Ironically it seems the richer you are or get, often the less material stuff means to you long term in terms of value...which dovetails pretty truthfully with the backstory on people who win lotteries....and lose happiness.
Interesting stuff.....keep the responses comin' guys.
BP:);)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Momentos stay with the family. Material things are always for sale if the price is right.