kill switch

my controller never had a kill/lanyard switch so after buying one and leaving it on the counter for 6 months i got around to installing it. now i was sure that M to M was n/c with the lanyard removed and open with the lanyard in place but on the one i bought it is the other way around and C to C is closed when the lanyard is removed and open when its installed.
i must admit i dont normally check the letters as i prefer to check everything with a meter to be sure but i was sure that it was meant to be the other way around. i tested the lanyard and it cuts the motor when removed so its working so either im wrong or the switch was marked wrong (outboard 120hp evinrude)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: kill switch

you bought one for a "battery ignition" system which is fine for an I/O or inboard. Just like your car, when you turn the key off the ignition circuit OPENS, dropping power to the ignition. On an outboard which has a "magneto system" you sort the ignition to ground to kill the engine therefore the kill switch must be OPEN to run and CLOSED to kill the engine. They do make universal units with both sets of contacts.

Re: kill switch

so the switch must be marked wrong then. its a universal with 2 sets of contacts and M is open and C closed with the lanyard removed. i think the switch came from ebay. it works so no harm done but it would have been diffrent if i had not of tested it with a meter