Adjusting throttle / shift play

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1982(ish) Mercruiser 228 / MC-1

I've done about eight hours now on my boat since installing a new lower shift cable. There seems to be what I consider an excessive amount of throw required in the throttle lever once the gear in engaged (either forwards or backwards), before the throttle picks up. The gear shift engages smoothly with only a small amount of throw beyond the vertical of the shift lever, however throttle won't come in until the lever is pushed forward past the 10:30 position or even perhaps a little further. Same for reverse. Is this normal, or can I adjust the play out? The boat is new to me and I didn't try it prior to replacing the cable so I don't know whether it was like this with the old cable or not.

Cheers

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adjusting throttle / shift play

My 1981 228 MerCruiser MC1 is the same way. All of my outboards have been like that as well.

Hope this helps.

Craig

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That's about the same as mine too.... Always been that way.

Chris......

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks for the replies, guys. It just seems a little crude to have that much play in the system, but I guess that's just he way it is.

Cheers

NHGuy

Captain

You might be smart to make sure that when it's all the way forward that the throttle is wide open. Aisde that, yer good.