Larsons and trim tabs.

MikeM8560

Seaman Apprentice
Thoose with a transome like mine with the rounded transom how to you fit for the actuators NOt having a flat transome

1B332435-EAB5-42D4-BB1E-CE83EFA089C1-5977-0000071C1F1F3247.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Larsons and trim tabs.

I installed a set of SmartTabs on my Larson with molded transom. I'll see if I can find a picture. After talking with the folks at Nauticus, I just installed the actuator top on the bumped out portion of the transom. I'll see if I can find a pic at home.

Jim

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

One way to do it is to have the actuators mounted "backwards" up to the overhanging section of the transom.

stingray_transom.jpg

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

MikeM8560

Seaman Apprentice

Tabman why would they need to be reversed?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Mike,

Normally the actuators (rams) angle forward to attach to the transom, such as on this SeaCraft:
SC20-Stbd.jpg

But the overhangs on the Larson's transom may not allow this, so the actuators can be angled aft and attached to them like this:
stingray_side.jpg

Tom
Bennett Marine

cozilla

Seaman Apprentice

I have this same question. Would love to see a pic on a Larson with the same transom as described. Looking to add SmartTabs as well but want to see how they would mount.

Thanks,

Colin

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I posed the installation question (re: installing SmartTabs on a Larson's contoured transom) to Nauticus, and Greg (a Nauticus technician) replied: "The tabs will work on your boat and I have attached some examples of the installation. They aren’t you exact boat but the same idea. They can mount on a contour area the actuators just need to be angled enough into the boat so that it can compress. Take a look and let me know your thoughts."

The pics sent by Greg (one is a Searay, the other a Bayliner):
0000315259-18 ft Searay.jpg0000315259-SX Smart Tabs Bayliner.jpg

I installed them on my boat and they work fine. (I'd post a pic of the installation on my Larson, but I removed the SmartTabs while I'm rebuilding the transom.)

Jim