fuel tank

Odisjr

Recruit
How do you remove and replace the fuel pickup tube on a molded plastic tank?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel tank

Depends on who manufactured the tank. Got a picture?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes the fuel pickup is pressed in. Sometimes it is screwed into a metal fitting which is molded into the tank.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

just tap a new hole if you cant get old one out

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Taping a hole in a plastic tank is a bad idea. The fittings are intentionally molded in to make them strong.

Odisjr

Recruit

DSCF0078.jpgDSCF0075.jpg
I have attached two pictures of my fuel tank showing the pickup tube. The metal fitting screwed out leaving the plastic tube in the fitting. The plastic tube will not come out completely. When I unscrewed the fitting there appeared to be a crystalized resedue on the threads and nipple. It appears that the pickup tube is permanent. The tank has set up for several years. Some fuel was inside the tank when I could not get a prime, I replaced the siphon bulb but could not get a prime. The tube may not keep a prime. The tank is made by Inca, 12 gal, tank type is F02012, made in 1989.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

View attachment 174373View attachment 174374
I have attached two pictures of my fuel tank showing the pickup tube. The metal fitting screwed out leaving the plastic tube in the fitting. The plastic tube will not come out completely. When I unscrewed the fitting there appeared to be a crystalized resedue on the threads and nipple. It appears that the pickup tube is permanent. The tank has set up for several years. Some fuel was inside the tank when I could not get a prime, I replaced the siphon bulb but could not get a prime. The tube may not keep a prime. The tank is made by Inca, 12 gal, tank type is F02012, made in 1989.

The plastic pick up tube was at on time flexable I bet to follow the fuel as it swished back and forth the white residue is just dried up teflon tape/sealer tape.

I would cut the old line and push it back into the tank and shake it out through the filling tube then replace it with new tubing.

cyclops2

Banned

You are digging a hole for your self with a old tank that had fuel in it dry out. That old crystillized residue will start moving around & drive you crazy with engine slowdowns & constant readjusting of the carb needles.

Buy a NEW, but old stock of 1997, steel 6 gallon tank from Boat Parts and Marine Supplies - Great Lakes Skipper part #1013413. comes full set up with a Johnson / Evinrude barb on the outlet. I bought 2. No leaks.

Only problem is the foam explosion protection in the tank can hang up on the great fuel gauge float. I will find some plastic sleeve that is gasoline resistant to keep the foam away from the float.

I ordered 2 more of the tanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A old tank can be very well cleaned out by dumping in a gallon of carb cleaner and moving the tank around on each side over night to dissolve and varnish and residues. That and a new piece of tubing and its brand new again.

cyclops2

Banned

If you use the old tank. You should find a filter attached the the end of the tube inside of the tank. You need to have a filter somewhere to prevent clogging the fuel pump & carb in the engine. A 50 to about 100 microns will do nicely. Some auto stores sell them in various fuel line sizes.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The plastic pick up tube was at on time flexable I bet to follow the fuel as it swished back and forth the white residue is just dried up teflon tape/sealer tape.

I would cut the old line and push it back into the tank and shake it out through the filling tube then replace it with new tubing.

Yup. And, if you remove the gauge sending unit it'll probably be pretty easy to fish the tube out through that hole, instead. As mentioned, the tank can be pretty easily cleaned out with a variety of products. Do that, clean up all the threaded fittings, install a new pickup tube assembly and you should be good to go.

My .02