470 head bolts

tmcustoms

Cadet
Hello guys Im installing a new head gasket on my 470 Im wondering if I should replace the head bolts also does any one know if there is a arp head bolts I could buy.

matt167

Captain
Re: 470 head bolts

You can call ARP and see if they can make something up. BB 385 series Ford bolts or studs may work on the 224 as that is the cyl head they use, but you will end up with double the needed bolts. In any case, new 3.7L/224 head bolt sets are readily available and pretty cheap, so it wouldn't make sense to reuse old bolts

tmcustoms

Cadet

Do you guys have a source or link to a site where I can get a new set of stock ones

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your local Ford dealer can supply them, as they're out of a 429/460 cubic inch engine. There are also bolt dealerships in large cities that could set you up. You'd have to take the bolts to the dealership so they could make sure the length and diameter's right. The bearings and pistons for that engine are also Ford.

But the starters and fuel pumps are strictly GM/Delco-Remy. Mercury used a little of everybody on that engine. Too bad it wasn't as good in the real world as it was on paper.

I have one of those engines in pieces, and have a new gasket set including a head gasket and a reworked head.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Unless you have lost them or the bolts are damaged, re-use them, there is no reason to replace them. And it is not called for in the service manual.