How To fix my transom to put a outboard motor

Joel09

Recruit
Hi,

My name is Joel. I have a few question about how to fix my transom.

I have a 1969 Gladstron runabout sportster, i took out my motor from the boat since there was a crack in the block so i decided to put a outboard motor on it. So my question is since there was a inboard/outboard on it there is a big hole where the feet use to be so i was wondering what i need to do to fix that hole the best professional way. what i need to buy?

My second question is when i do fix that transom what the maximum motor i can put on that transom because from what i research on the boat it says there was a 80hp on it inboard/outboard motor.

Thank You any info is very helpful for me!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: How To fix my transom to put a outboard motor

Post pictures of your boat for the best help.

You'll need to remove all the wood from your transom and rebuild it.

You'll need to fiberglass in the "keyhole" where the outdrive used to stick through.

You need to go back with 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood for a 1 1/2" thick transom.

You'll need to brace your transom some how.

You should also check your deck and stringers for rot while you're taking the boat apart, better to do it now than later.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is this your boat's engine thread about the prop: Engine size need new prop.:
The Glastron V-157 is a 15 ft tri-hull bow rider. The stern drive version would likely have no more than the 120 HP engine; which is a 153 CI 4 cylinder engine. The drive uses a 1.98:1 gear ratio
attachment.php

From looking for a prop to pulling the cracked block in 8wks, bummer. Was the block cracked when you got (bought) the boat?

To add to what Jig said:
My OB Glastron transom looks like this:
Glastron16Stern1.jpg

GlastronTransomSplashwell.jpg

You'll need/want to create a splashwell at the transom to allow your OB to clamp to the transom, or add a setback/jackplate bracket:
jac6inch.gif

or
jackPlateOnTransom800x578.jpg

Might HAVE to use an adjustable jackplate, since your hulls transom may or may not be easily height adaptable to a short or long length OB motor:
shaft_measure.gif

And may or may not be angled/sloped to correctly & easily accept an OB.

This time of year, donor boats (and drivelines) are going to be plentiful... Might consider going that route and moving up an engine size. Buying a fiberglass boat that has rot & needs lots of fiberglass work, but has a turnkey or close to turnkey motor, might be about the same price point as a 'new' OB. And wouldn't require major rework of the transom. The funds intended for the rework MIGHT be enough to totally rehab your boats stringers, deck & transom and use the existing interior as is. Switch to OB & the interior will also need major rework.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock.........

Shots of your actual boat, and it's transom will help as Jig suggested....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Joel: I hate to tell you but there are few old fiberglass boats that are worth such restorations. You still would have an old boat (after spending a bunch of money) that's not worth much.

If I/O's go out, you would do better to find another donor boat with a more modern I/O unit--and swap the engine over. I/O transoms just don't have enough structure to even hang an outboard on without complete rebuilding. And most of the time, the stringers are rotted from age.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Joel: I hate to tell you but there are few old fiberglass boats that are worth such restorations. You still would have an old boat (after spending a bunch of money) that's not worth much.

If I/O's go out, you would do better to find another donor boat with a more modern I/O unit--and swap the engine over. I/O transoms just don't have enough structure to even hang an outboard on without complete rebuilding. And most of the time, the stringers are rotted from age.

I'm sorry, but there are reasons the OP is asking the questions he's asking. Clearly, initially, the boat was deemed 'worth' possibly keeping & rehab'ing it into serviceable condition either as an OB or an I/O or they wouldn't have taken the time to post this thread.

Possibly, this boat is worth four times what it costs to rehab, whichever direction it takes, to the OP. If the work to convert it is too costly or difficult to re-engineer safely, that is for the OP to decide.

I am willing to help in any way I can, either w/ info or suggestions, no matter the direction you choose. If it's worth the time, effort, energy & money to you, I'll gladly lend a hand to get it back on the water, old boat or not.

If you spend $3-4K, a random amount, you may spend less, and you could certainly spend more, on this boat, it will be in significantly better condition then 95%+ of the $4K boats available for sale in the marketplace. Does that make it worth more then another boat, maybe, maybe not. Having done the work & knowing how it was put together, makes it worth MUCH more to me. Certainly redoing a boat will be a challenging project, but well worth the efforts & costs, IMHO.

Could you sell it for an amount equal to what you've spent, likely not. But for most of us, it is still worth much more then the $4K boat you can buy any day in any part of the country.

Again, welcome to the iboats dry dock.....

As an indication of how most of us view project boats, and Jig will likely freely admit it: he'd almost rather cut up a glasser as own one. But he still took the time to make suggestions about the put back, and added comments about making sure other areas of the boat were inspected & possibly redone, rather then:

'Hey, ya should cut this 1 up & buy an aluminum boat'

Although he may still make that suggestion :facepalm:

The tinheads are a tricky bunch, often maniacal and very willing to talk smack about the more sophisticated, sleeker, sexier glass boats :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The tinheads are a tricky bunch, often maniacal and very willing to talk smack about the more sophisticated, sleeker, sexier glass boats :)

Glastron16Stern1.jpg

GlastronTransomSplashwell.jpg

You call it sophisticated, sleek, and sexy... I call it refried rat poop.:p

People are going to do good things to bad boats, and bad things to good boats.

If someone wants to restore an old 70 or 80' tri-hull, I say go right ahead. They obviously like the boat for some reason... and it's their boat to do whatever they want.

I'll sit back and watch and offer what little knowledge I have. It's amazing at some of the skills some folks have on here... other folks may not be that skilled, but they try real hard and I admire that too.

An I/O to outboard conversion isn't easy, but it can be done... and if you relly like your boat I say go for it Joel.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You call it sophisticated, sleek, and sexy... I call it refried rat poop.

Um, yeah, we see it the same in it's CURRENT state :eek:

But 1 day, hopefully, maybe it'll look more like this:
1960GlastronFireFliterestored1.jpg

Then my earlier statement is more accurate ;)

BTW: I prefer to think of the debris inside it when I got it, as processed squirrel food not refried rat droppings :facepalm: