1976 Galaxy Project Boat

dmiller_72

Recruit
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums, but I have been sent here on numerous google searches looking for an answer. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm new to owning a boat, and wanted a project recently, so I bought this boat and I'm trying to learn more about it. the guy I bought it from really doesn't know much about it. I think it was his fathers...

ANYWAY - It's a 1976, 17.5 foot Galaxy. It has an OMC 140 engine in it. Came with trailer, the boat of course, some life jackets, ski ropes, etc. I got it for $600... It also has a brand new battery in it.

It runs briefly. When I hook it up to the hose so water can flow through - it runs for about 20-30 seconds and then stops.

Cosmetically - it needs a little sewing / fixing in the seats, or maybe new ones. I'll end up replacing the carpet and cleaning it up alot.

What I'm asking for help with is this: Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a manual for the engine? It appears to me that OMC is not around anymore. I'm sure you'll want more details, so if you need a number - or something off the engine... let me know what you need to help me identify this bad boy.

Thanks for ANY help I can get. It's much appreciated!

IMG237.jpgIMG238.jpgIMG239.jpgIMG240.jpg

matt167

Captain
Re: 1976 Galaxy Project Boat

OMC has been gone for 12 years, the stringer drives ( what you have ) have been gone for close to 30 years. The bad news is that depending on the problems with the boat, it may not be economically fixable ( more than it's worth ), but the good news is that you got your money's worth IMO... The running for 30 seconds may be an electrical fault with the shift interupt system. Boat looks pretty clean. Check the floor for soft spots and the transom for rot

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the dry dock dmiller_72,
The best place to get good info about your engine is here in the OMC Engine Forum... OMC I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives

As has been mentioned, you should do a core sampling of the stringers and transom...a solid feeling floor/deck is not necessarily an indication that the boat is rot free...

Unfortunately, a lot of older boats that incorporate wood in their structure have fallen victim to rot due to poor storage conditions, lack of maintenance, and age...Rot starts at the lowest and rear most areas of the boat...if your boat suffers from this, the only proper solution is what we call here, "a full gut and restore"...I hope that you have one of the few exceptions to the "rule"...

Best of Luck,
GT1M

jbcurt00

Staff member

Don't forget, even w/ the manual, obsolete parts are still unavailable, any parts you can source today, may soon be unavailable also, but you'll know what # OMC gave them & how they were assembled, which may be of help for your immediate need of getting it to run for more then 30sec.

$70 for the manual, might be 20-30% of the way to a donor boat w/ a new to you driveline that still has parts & service available....

Else, welcome to the iboats dry dock, nice looking boat.

dmiller_72

Recruit

Thanks again for advice and the welcomes... My goal is to have it up and running by summer. You'll see me around here I'm sure!

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might keep an eye out on craigslist for a parts motor (in case ya hadn't already thought of it).