OMC Cobra 3.0 feedback

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me about OMC Cobra 3.0 litre. I understand they are no longer in business. I have contacted a couple of service shops and the ones here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada still work on them and speak highly of them. They indicate they can still get parts. However, in reading some of the threads on this site, I am not sure the OMC brand is all that good. What you say commnunity?? I am looking at a 1992 that had been service regularly and is a one owner.

Re: OMC Cobra 3.0 feedback

I think you've answered your question ;). There are many OMC powered boats working just fine. The problem is that OMC went out of business 12 years ago. The engine is stock and parts are not a problem. Parts for the Cobra drive are harder to get and more expensive than Merc.
Also, in some areas, it is difficult to find a mechanic to work on them. In my area, for example, the local marina recently advised that their only OMC mechanic had moved away and they could no longer offer repair service for OMC powered boats.

Maclin

Admiral

Vertigo, the OMC brand covers many years of stuff. The ones to avoid are the "pre-Cobra" versions. These are commonly called "stringer" drives because the entire engine+drive moves up and down for trimming at the front of the engine. These have a large square-ish opening on the stern with a rubber diaphragm/seal for the drive to fit thru and keep water out. Parts for those are hard to come by.

Later on OMC teamed up with Volvo and came up with the Cobra-era stuff like the 1992 you are interested in. I am not an expert but I know parts are available for those, and the 3.0 is the same very steady and sturdy and serviceable GM engine that Volvo and Merc use.

The joint venture ended in the late 90's but parts are still around, but I will say that if any of that history seems scary then keep looking and go with a Mercruiser or "pure" Volvo setup.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Can anyone tell me about OMC Cobra 3.0 litre. I understand they are no longer in business. I have contacted a couple of service shops and the ones here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada still work on them and speak highly of them. They indicate they can still get parts. However, in reading some of the threads on this site, I am not sure the OMC brand is all that good. What you say commnunity?? I am looking at a 1992 that had been service regularly and is a one owner.

and speak highly of them.
toothlessgiggler.gif
I would too if I could charge more for parts & labor to fix one BECAUSE it's a Cobra!!

All kidd'n aside, The engine is no different than any other 3.0L engine. (except for the expensive, and getting more expensive) Electronic Shift Assist module.

The drive will be the "same" (Dog-clutch) as any 1987 to 1995 or so, OMC Cobra dog-clutch drive.

There are *some* parts that are either getting scarce or NLA but they are generally supportable.

If I had the choice, I would find a similarly equipped Mercruiser powered boat of the same year (or newer) or a Volvo Penta powered, (VP SX) newer than about 1995/1996.

matt167

Captain

Could always run the Cobra until it gets too hard to get parts for or too expensive, then buy a rot-box bayliner or simmilar with a 3.0L Mercruiser dirt cheap and simply switch over the drive. The keyhole thru the transom is the same. You will need to swap external Merc parts onto your 3.0L or just run the donor 3.0L if it's good..

If the boat really is in that good of shape and a one owner, I would not walk away for being a Cobra drive. If it was stringer drive, probably.