OMC cobra trim limit.

I have a 1987 Sea Ray 350 CI chevy engine with a cobra drive. I know that they do not have a trim limit switch like a merc, but can someone tell me, what is the mechanism that limits trim travel beyond the trim limit? I have a wire harness with red, blue, green and purple. Both the blue and purple wires bring the drive all the way up. I assume one wire, the blue wire I believe, should be limited but I'm not sure what actually limits the travel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC cobra trim limit.

but can someone tell me, what is the mechanism that limits trim travel beyond the trim limit?

There isn't a trim limit with a Cobra.

I understand that there is not a limit switch like on a merc Don, but how does the drive keep from trimming out to far? I'm trying to wire this correctly and I can't find a way to make the trim limit.

This is a quote from the owner manual:

Press "up" on "trim" switch until the drive unit moves to properly trim the boat or until trim limit switch stops outward travel.

Surely there was some sort of limit to keep a novice from trimming all the way out and trashing a lower unit?

Update: Don I just talked to a friend that I bought the boat from 8 years ago. he bought the boat new in '87 and he said that it never had a trim limit. That just floors me, I can't believe that OMC would not have a way to keep a newbie from trashing a lower unit. sorry to waste your time, but thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trim limit is your ears... once you have reached as far as the cylinders can lift or drop the drive.. you will surly know.... because it sounds like you are squeezing a piece of wood in a 10 ton press

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Update: Don I just talked to a friend that I bought the boat from 8 years ago. he bought the boat new in '87 and he said that it never had a trim limit. That just floors me, I can't believe that OMC would not have a way to keep a newbie from trashing a lower unit. sorry to waste your time, but thanks for your reply.

Trim is not something you set to a point and never touch it again, you constantly have to adjust due to waves, wind, boat loading, weight, rpm, etc.

It's very simple, if the engine rpm's start going up and the speed goes down, you are trimmed to high. Put the drive back down in the water.
If the engine rpm starts going down, and the speed also goes down, you are trimmed to low, and the bow of the boat is blowing through the water not planing. Lift the drive up.

You trim the drive so you get the highest speed and highest rpm. If the boat starts porpoising (Bow bouncing up and down) you are again a little bit too high.

With experience, you will be able to hear and feel the differences and the adjustments will become second nature.

I think experience may be the reason I was expecting a trim limit. I've grown up around boats and been at it for over 35 years and more boats than i can count. I've had this boat for 8 years now and finally decided to replace the trim sender and so I went one step further and decided to connect it properly to the trim limit, which I now know doesn't exist. I've always had mercs and always had a trim limit switch. Before this boat I always trimmed by feel and wake profile so I really didn't miss any trim indicators or limit switches( that's why I just decided to do this after 8 years). I'm just one of those guys that wants it all to work like it did when it was new. I guess you're never to old to learn something, but I'm still surprised that OMC would rely on someone just knowing better not to raise the drive too far when running.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think experience may be the reason I was expecting a trim limit. I've grown up around boats and been at it for over 35 years and more boats than i can count. I've had this boat for 8 years now and finally decided to replace the trim sender and so I went one step further and decided to connect it properly to the trim limit, which I now know doesn't exist. I've always had mercs and always had a trim limit switch. Before this boat I always trimmed by feel and wake profile so I really didn't miss any trim indicators or limit switches( that's why I just decided to do this after 8 years). I'm just one of those guys that wants it all to work like it did when it was new. I guess you're never to old to learn something, but I'm still surprised that OMC would rely on someone just knowing better not to raise the drive too far when running.

It's pretty much just common sense. If I trim mine up too high, the dang prop comes out of the water and it is OBVIOUS. It isn't going to "ruin the lower unit"?? Might eat up a U-joint at an accelerated pace but just the sound and drop in speed will have you lowering the drive quickly.