15' starcraft capri with Evinrude 65Hp

1sttimmer

Recruit
I am looking to purchase a 15' Starcraft Capri with an Evinrude 65hp engine. The deal comes with the trailer, electronic wench, trolling motor, depth/fish finder(new), and removable fishing platform with chair. The engine looks very clean as does the boat. It has been garaged from day one, but not used for the past 6-8 years. I don't have a clue as to what to offer. Can anyone help?????

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15' starcraft capri with Evinrude 65Hp

Offer $500 and go from there.

That motor will require a certain amount of maintenance to make it reliable again, mainly the carbs cleaned. a new impeller (water pump), and lower unit drain and fill.

You don't give the year - mid 70's? Check local listings for similar boats. Engine unused for 8 years could be a problem. Don't try and start it before doing some basic maintenance! What is the seller asking?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

As Another Retired Guy said, the engine is the big unknown. Can't be tested as-is so I would base my offer on the value of the boat and trailer. Until I knew better, I would simply assume that the engine is toast.

I've bought a few boats, and there are a couple of simple rules I follow. Those who have the knowledge, time, money and tools to fix anything will disagree, but here's my approach...

1. If a component can't be demonstrated because (according to the seller), 'it just needs a new switch', or 'it just needs a simple adjustment'...then IMO it doesn't work and will need to be replaced.

2. If the seller claims maintenance or repairs that can't be confirmed with receipts, they weren't done.

My .02

1sttimmer

Recruit

You don't give the year - mid 70's? Check local listings for similar boats. Engine unused for 8 years could be a problem. Don't try and start it before doing some basic maintenance! What is the seller asking?

Seller is asking $800. It is a 1972 Starcraft. I didn't think it was good for the engine to just sit, but father-in-law said it shouldn't be a problem.

bullcity101

Seaman

usually, it isn't too much of a problem to sit. But, many factors. Was it run in salt water and than sat for eight years? was it stored outside that long? I would do a compression test, see if it has spark and see if the prop spins/doesn't spin in gear. If all those are true you might be getting a good deal. Just remember it is a gamble.
Be sure to follow the sticky in the johnson/evinrude section of awakening a old outboard.
With the boat, is the transom solid? Is the floor solid? Soft transom or floor could be big issues, especially if it got down to the stringers and such. If it was garaged kept maybe less of an issue.

Good luck!

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As Another Retired Guy said, the engine is the big unknown. Can't be tested as-is so I would base my offer on the value of the boat and trailer. Until I knew better, I would simply assume that the engine is toast.

I've bought a few boats, and there are a couple of simple rules I follow. Those who have the knowledge, time, money and tools to fix anything will disagree, but here's my approach...

1. If a component can't be demonstrated because (according to the seller), 'it just needs a new switch', or 'it just needs a simple adjustment'...then IMO it doesn't work and will need to be replaced.

2. If the seller claims maintenance or repairs that can't be confirmed with receipts, they weren't done.

My .02

These are two VERY GOOD rules.... and I do 99% of my own work and have 99% my own tools... If buying it from someone you don't know that's the way to do it.

If the motor was PROPERLY winterized then it would probably start right up, but if not there could be a number of problems (either big or small). If the seller doesn't have it running then I would assume the worse and buy it assuming the motor is junk. Then if it doesn't require much you lucked out... If you do buy it, like someone else said, make sure you do some maintenance before firing it up....

Also, keep in mind that most boats that age (especially the small ones) have transom and/ or floor and/ or stringer rot. If it was actually kept inside it's WHOLE life then that may not be a problem. Repairing rot on a fiberglass boat can be a very time consuming, back breaking job...

Austin

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Seller is asking $800. It is a 1972 Starcraft. I didn't think it was good for the engine to just sit, but father-in-law said it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem, 1sttimmer, is that you have only the seller's word that the motor was RUNNING AT ALL when the boat went into storage. No way would I accept his word for that.

Depending on condition, $800. might be reasonable for the boat and trailer, but you can bet a few hundred at least to fix little stuff and buy gear for the boat. Will it be worth putting an additional $1500 into if you need to shop for a motor, control unit and cables?

So, simple question of economics - if the boat, motor and trailer were in good operating condition, would they be worth $2500? If the answer is yes, then I might go for it myself, because I could wind up with a hell of a deal. If the answer is no, I'd walk.

My .02

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure where your from, but around here a boat of that age and size probably wouldn't bring much more than $1,000 if it was running and in great shape with all included gear. There are a bunch of those things out there...

Austin

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not sure where your from, but around here a boat of that age and size probably wouldn't bring much more than $1,000 if it was running and in great shape with all included gear. There are a bunch of those things out there...

Austin

I think that's the best perspective on this boat. But you aren't risking all that much if you have experience fixing stuff and don't mind a project, investing some time, and are prepared to repower.

1sttimmer

Recruit

I appreciate all the advice. I guess I have some thinking to do. Stay tuned in the comming weeks!