Is this similar to PB?

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is Peanut Butter to bond or fill or both?

When buying my supplies to replace the deck I forgot the recipe to make Peanut Butter. When I told them what I was doing, they suggested their hull and deck putty. I bought it but I would like to confirm what I have will work. I am looking to fill/bond the gap between the deck and hull.

This is what they have listed on their website

HULL & DECK PUTTY

A smooth, strong, non-sagging polyester putty. Reinforced with milled fiber. Shapes and spreads nicely. Excellent, general purpose polyester filler above or below the waterline.

I plan to apply it at the same time as the tabbing to obtain a chemical bond.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this similar to PB?

Sounds about right. How much was it. PB recipe is 1 qt of resin, 1 qt of cabosil, 1/4 cup of Chopped milled fibers. 10 ml of Hardener MEKP

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is Peanut Butter to bond or fill or both?

When buying my supplies to replace the deck I forgot the recipe to make Peanut Butter. When I told them what I was doing, they suggested their hull and deck putty. I bought it but I would like to confirm what I have will work. I am looking to fill/bond the gap between the deck and hull.

This is what they have listed on their website

HULL & DECK PUTTY

A smooth, strong, non-sagging polyester putty. Reinforced with milled fiber. Shapes and spreads nicely. Excellent, general purpose polyester filler above or below the waterline.

I plan to apply it at the same time as the tabbing to obtain a chemical bond.

I would not put hard filler/putty in a hull deck seam. Use 3m 4000 or 4200 ( or compatible caulk ).

What Hull & Deck Putty are you looking to use.. link for that product..

You want to use it for Tabbing ? .. again what are you looking to use ?

YD.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hull and Deck Putty
I planned on using it fill the gap between the new deck and the full. I assumed it would fill and bond. I would then tab over it.

I have the deck ready to go in. Do I apply adhesive to the stringers and bulkhead?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I used stainless screws to fasten my floor to my stringers with a bead of 3ms 5200. I have used regular bondo, kitty hair and a few other concoctions to fill the gap between the floor and boat. If you tab the floor in correctly your fill winds up being of little concern.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As I previously stated, this product looks suspiciously like what we call Peanut Butter. Their Price is expensive. You can make your own for less money.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im sure that the stuff your gonna get is Fast cure putty. Its gonna cause trouble when trying to use it for fillets for tabbing ( it cures too fast ).

Same thing for the deck/stringer system fills .. I think it will cure too fast before you can get it down. I thought you were talking deck ( Deck Cap ). .. Not a sole ( floor ).

YD.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

PB works great...but since you have already ordered the putty give it a try and let us know how it turns out! I suggest starting with small amounts to see how quickly it hardens. You will get the feel for it after a few batches.