NFL vs College Football

sam60

Captain
Is it just me or do others see alot more passion and excitement in the college games than the NFL?

To me the college kids are putting out more effort than the ones who play for pay. I spent 5 minutes on Monday Night Football tonight and had my fill.

I'm sure that I will get pummeled for this post.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: NFL vs College Football

Yes, I concur with your observation.

I am not sure why, but it seems that at the NFL level the training and coaching is much more refined, so you are really watching something that was pre-orchestrated days beforehand in the meeting rooms, etc.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Passion from the players comes in the form of the possibility of being drafted to the big league. Similar thing to junior hockey (summising the NHL ever play again).

DayCruiser

Ensign

I think both league players coast through some games. Just about any team can beat the other on any given day. Hard to keep a high level of excitement going for every game. College & NFL players seem to play harder for home games. You have to have players that have a competitive personality. Then Peer pressure will effect the other players. In college they are not motivated by money. In the NFL they are not motivated because they have too much money

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They get to choose which college they play for, well at least if they're any good they do. They normally don't get to choose which team they play for in the NFL and are sometimes living well away from where they want to because of which team they play for.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Is it just me or do others see alot more passion and excitement in the college games than the NFL?

I've thought that for years. Same goes with basketball. Can't beat March Madness. Still like watching the NFL too(well, most of the time).

TilliamWe

Banned

I think both league players coast through some games...

Yep.

mzahn, when you are comapring Alabama v LSU to Saints v Eagles, the NFL is gonna lose every time. Now this weekend see if you can find Akron v Umass on TV and see how it compares to the Texans v Bears on Sunday night. I think you'll feel a little differently.
You have the benefit of seeing only the "big" college games each weekend, but every NFL game. Almost apples to oranges. At least red apples (yuck) to green apples (YUM).

aspeck

Staff member

I have always enjoyed college games more than pro games in every sport but hockey (and that might change after this year). Not only is there more passion, but I think there is more creativity, more risk taking, and certainly more fun to the games. As much as I am looking forward to some type of playoff in college f-ball, there is something to be said about the ability to argue, every year, about who should have played who and who should be the top team.

On Monday night I will be going to my first professional football game, but I have been to literally hundreds of college football games. Maybe my attitude will change after Monday night, but I doubt it, Pittsburgh is playing Kansas City.

And basketball ... I can't watch a pro game, but I love a good college game and March Madness is the bomb!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As a season ticket holder for both college football/basketball, a former season ticket holder for the Lakers and having been to a few pro football games when my friend was playing, I can tell you that the college experience is so much better.

High School basketball/football is also pretty darn fun to watch as well.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The college players are still learning, and most of them know it.

The pro players already know it all, and most of them believe it.