Water telltale (pee stream)

wba593

Recruit
I can't find where the water is supposed to stream out of for my 1967 Mercury 200. I've looked EVERYWHERE for a hole, but just can't find it anywhere. I have started the motor with rabbit ears, and no stream is coming out anywhere. I've also tried a trashcan, still no luck. Does anyone know exactly where the stream is supposed to come out of? Is it supposed to come out of the exhaust holes? Thanks for any help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water telltale (pee stream)

You probably will never find it. They didn't have them for a long time and 67 seems about 10 years too early. I have built my own. I bore a suitable hole for a 1/8" pipe tap (0.328") in the water jacket cover on the rear of the engine and another hole to fit the rubber tubing used in the lower cowl on the right (starboard) side of the engine toward the rear but not so far as to not be seen from the helm. Remembering that the head, cast into the block is sort of dome shaped so I pick a spot near the edge of the cover but not so close as to get into the edge of the block that the cover bolts to. Obviously you work carefully and capture as many shavings as possible.

If you are worried about it and want to buy a gasket and chance breaking off a bolt in the process you could remove the cover before you drill the hole. The shavings aren't that many and aren't that large so the possibility of them causing you problems is slim in my opinion.

Your local auto parts store should have the 3/8 pipe-1/8" hose barb and the hose. Worked for me.

Mark