Heating ideas for a workspace involving cold weather fiberglassing

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am working on a custom project that involves extensive fiberglass work. Of course the weather has dropped well below the optimal working conditions for Isophthalic Polyester Resins. There is 'no' awaiting spring to return to complete this project, it is already behind schedule as it is. I am needing to heat the workable space and the project itself with some form of heating that is ok to use in a combustible vapor environment. I know that already limits many of the well known heat sources out there.

I plan on heating the project itself along select regions of the project with directed infrared bulbs. I also need the ambient environment to be heated as well. I am looking for some of the larger oil filled radiant heaters available but can only seem to locate residential models, as always. I am familiar with an alternative industrial type, no-flame, oil filled heaters that use diesel fuel that are used a lot out in the midwest and northern climes. This would work perfectly as I could pipe the heat in via canvas duct from a slightly remote location. I thought some of the equipment rental places in the triad area might have them, of course they do not.

Anyone have any ideas how I could heat up this area without any open flame, or electric strip sources.

I have considered purchasing a barrel heater kit with legs, etc; and make a 50 gallon horizontal drum heater. I could pump the heat off of the barrel alone, into the area with canvas duct and a ventilation fan. The positive pressure within the duct would prevent any vapors from meandering up the duct back towards a hotter heat source. It does not need to be hot in the area, just warmer than 50 degrees.

I can work the Isophthalic polyester resin down to 60 degrees without any structural issues.

Thanks, chris

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Heating ideas for a workspace involving cold weather fiberglassing

The industrial systems I have seen in areas with fumes always used steam and lots of excessive spark prevention.

Hot water base boards or radiators with the boiler in a safe area such as outside or another building might be one way. A glycol mix will permit intermittent usage of the heating system without damage concerns.

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The industrial systems I have seen in areas with fumes always used steam and lots of excessive spark prevention.

Hot water base boards or radiators with the boiler in a safe area such as outside or another building might be one way. A glycol mix will permit intermittent usage of the heating system without damage concerns.

yeah that is exactly the system that i need here, a remote boiler-fire box, etc; i am just limited on time so to make one would be yet another project, that is part of the problem, i do not have enough time to complete this one. I really need the heat source but cannot make my own at this time, looking something on the market, small scale that i could purchase and either pipe the heat in through larger air duct or pipe warm water through a radiator with a small fan attached to rear.

Either way, i need a small unit already made, did not know if perhaps some of you gentleman may be familiar with a system for purchase that I am not.

Chris

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can use a propane Power tube heater and flex Household heater conduit to run under your tented area. That way the open flame is out in the open and only the heat is coming under the tent. Another member did that with great success. Kept everything under the tent @ 70 degrees.

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woodonglass, that is the ticket my man....I do not know for the life of me why I had not thought of the residential flexible duct prior to now. All i could think about was the much more expensive 18-20" diameter canvas duct and industrial tube blower. I could not see the tree for the forest. Thanks.

I am definitely going to try to go this route, sounds like it would work perfect to heat my 12x15x12' tall workspace. Thanks bud for the input. I really do appreciate it, as mentioned earlier, i think i was thinking too complex and simply missed it. I can only think that the vapors will not be an issue in reaching the heat tube with the positive pressure flow in the line/duct.

Plus i have good ventilation escapes near the roof line of the area where i am working so that should not be an issue. I wonder if polyester resin vapors are lighter or more dense than breathing air? Would they rise or settle around the workspace floor. I have never really needed to know this element before now. Always worked during spring/summer with fans and doors open wide.

you are making reference to the cylindrical tube, forced air heaters correct?

Chris

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yes, and I'd recommend a box fan under the tent to keep things circulating.