Bullet Bass Boat w/ 225 Johnson HO motor

dirtman0069

Recruit
Just bought this 1999 Bullet Bass boat w/ a 1999 johnson 225 HP Ho motor, was wandering who built this motor is it OMC or Bombadier, and or there any problems that come with this motor personaly I am a Mercury man but could not pass this deal up. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bullet Bass Boat w/ 225 Johnson HO motor

Howdy, dirtman.

Welcome to iboats. :)

I think Bombardier bought the remains of defunct OMC about 2000. I do remember that during the late 90s there were some manufacturing quality control issues caused by disgruntled OMC employees sabotaging outboards during manufacture, and there were serious reliability issues with the FICHT direct injected engines.

I am sure, however, that a 14 year old outboard has had any initial problems corrected by now, so I wouldn't worry about those. That does not say anything about how the outboard may have been treated during those 14 years.

dirtman0069

Recruit

Thanks JB for the come back I believe your right 14 yrs old should have been gone through an old man had the boat that passed and its been sitting up for a few years before his widow sold it to the marina they went throgh it and said it is all good so we will see when I get it home.

daselbee

Commander

That is a carbed Johnson. Very good design, bulletproof, IMO.
Compression should be 90 - 100 psi, check LU oil, clean carbs properly, go boating.
You will get about 2 miles per gallon.