1989 50hp mariner gear problems

Hi,
So the 50hp mariner I have been slowly getting going is going now, but it goes into both forward and reverse rough, I wil check but I believe the oil level is fine, does anyone know of anything else it could be??:confused:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 50hp mariner gear problems

When you say "... slowly getting going" is appears you have been doing some work on it. Did it shift OK before you began the work? In doing the work did you remove the lower unit or open the gear case? If it was OK before, I'd look at what you did that might have changed something along the path from the shift lever down the shift shaft to the gear case.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

When shifting the motor into gear it should be done with a swift motion and not eased into gear as wear to the gears and clutchdog will happen alot faster. The quick motion will engage the gears most all the way and not let them just ride on the leading edges of the gears and seem rough. Could be the PO had done this and might be your trouble. JMO
Oldman570

minuteman62-64, i have been getting the engine runinng, i had the lower unit off but didnt change anything

oldman570 thanks i will try shifting a bit quicker when i take it out next

Mi duckdown

Commander

Drain and refill your lower end lube,and NEW washers on drain and vent screws. DO NOT asumme Lube is OK.
Check for any metal shavings and water in drained lube.