1978 Chieftain

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all..I just bought my first boat! Real excited! I read alot of your threads and find them intriging so Im happy to join your goup!
A little about me: Im 38 and been wrenching for years. Very little on a boat and a little intimidated untill I get some research done. Me and the boat are located not far from Davis Besse near Maumee Bay Lake Erie.

The boat is a 78' chieftain with a straight six 160 merc. Runs great. Outdrive works tho I have never had her in the water.

Hear is my deal... and Ill post pics soon. The bellows have dryrot possably cracks and I heard I can sink the boat if I go without replacing. The other is the is a little rot at the bottom of the transom plywood. I plan to takle this stuff on my own. I have a heated area to work on it this winter in an old barn.

Im looking forward to hear all your thoughts regarding my new resto.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1978 Chieftain

Welcome to the madness, ya if you have bad bellows you want to look after that before you get her wet or the wet could be on not only the outside of the hull. Check the bottom of the transom wood under the motor real well, as that is where the rot will start. Post up some pics so we can see the old girl.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congrats, and will be looking forward to the pics. Plenty of guidance on here to get you going in the right direction.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the bottom of the plywood is seperating (first 6") but I would think I could get a couple of seasons out of it??

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A picture of my boat/ project. Not sure what to call it at this point. the boat.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Yes the bottom of the plywood is seperating (first 6") but I would think I could get a couple of seasons out of it??

I don't think I would chance it if there is 6"s of the bottom of the transom that is wet and rotted, that is almost half the height of the out/drive mount, so all the engine torque will be on the aluminum skin. You will probably find it leaks around the transom seal.

Weep'n Willy

The pic looks great. Looks like a good project.
Since you have to change out the bellows it would be an excellent time to replace the transom. Don't risk a catastrophic failure, especially on the water. Six inches of bottom rot I would consider way too much. This is a pic of my new transom fitting. I assume your transom configuration is constructed the same way. The PO of the boat I bought didn't think much of the rotted transom until it started to bulge out the top plate. Then decided he needed to sell.

newtransom.jpg

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome and congrats on the fine looking rig.

That transom isn't such a big deal to replace and then you'll have peace of mind. The bellows are somewhat of a pain to change, but there is a lot of help around the mercruiser section right here on iboats. You're going to want to use mercruiser parts for the bellows, an alignment tool, and probably a bearing, ujoints, and lower shift cable. You'll also find some service manuals over at that mercruiser section.

elkhunter338

Change the transom, likely water has leaked in the top and is bad at the top and bottom. I know mine was because the starcraft does not believe in sealing anything. So water leaked in the to of the transom.
Put a new transom in her, check the splines and coupler, bellows, gimble bearing, outdrive seals (pressure test the outdrive), make sure the alignment is good, fuel lines, front motor mount (wood on mine was getting soft) I replaced with alum bolted into the supports, both my fuel tanks had water in them, not a bad idea to check the tanks out and make sure good fuel filter, new water pump in the outdrive, You will be busy this winter. Just remember no pressure treated wood in a alum boat. Marine plywood or good quality exterior grade.

How big is that Chief 21 or 24. Were you gonna fish?, any plans for a kicker motor?

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes WW.. I read your thread on your resto. Nice work! Very clean.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No plans yet for a kicker 338. Im looking at just getting her dried in. I have a 24. After reading alot of your posts Im happy I bought it. I loved the digs on the glassers. haha. Now I want to go find one and cut it up just for fun. Sounds like a good excuse to have a few beers and a toast to Neptune lol.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the big Chief and welcome to iboats!!!:)

I loved the digs on the glassers. Now I want to go find one and cut it up just for fun.

Looks like you'll fit in just great around here, ha!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I loved the digs on the glassers. haha. Now I want to go find one and cut it up just for fun. Sounds like a good excuse to have a few beers and a toast to Neptune lol.
Looks like you'll fit in just great around here, ha!
Welcome to the tin madness :D

And yeah, looks like Jas hit right on the rivet: You'll fit in fine.....

Weep'n Willy

Yes WW.. I read your thread on your resto. Nice work! Very clean.

Thank you, so far it has been a very fun project. I note that you have been wrenching for a while. I too wrench as a golf/commercial turf equipment mechanic. To tell the truth these boats are much easier to work on than some of the golf course equipment so you really shouldn't have too much problem if you are accustomed to wrenching. My best advice is to observe and debate what you plan to accomplish and then decide on a plan of attack systematically. Taking plenty pics before and during tear down can help refresh the memory should the task take longer than anticipated to accomplish. Good luck and will be looking forward to seeing the progress.

Nice lookin chief there...looks a lot like one I looked at, u buy it from a guy in Oregon? Ken?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the madness.
I take it this is your first boat and possibly your first inboard outboard?
First thing I suggest is getting a merc manual, the Solec one is great (for knee pads) so get a original mercruiser manual.
The mercruiser repair forum here is second to none, and if they could teach me how to get and keep one running, well you are miles ahead of my limited mechanical knowledge so you'll be fine.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, so far it has been a very fun project. I note that you have been wrenching for a while. I too wrench as a golf/commercial turf equipment mechanic. To tell the truth these boats are much easier to work on than some of the golf course equipment so you really shouldn't have too much problem if you are accustomed to wrenching. My best advice is to observe and debate what you plan to accomplish and then decide on a plan of attack systematically. Taking plenty pics before and during tear down can help refresh the memory should the task take longer than anticipated to accomplish. Good luck and will be looking forward to seeing the progress.

Well.. my plan of attack was to get some replies on changing the bellows. Now I plan to take off lower unit first. Go inside and yank the motor to pull the transom. I feel its best to be on the safe side. I dont have a lift so I need some input... I was thinking, unbolt the motor and drag it up out of the way with a couple of guys. Put it up on the floor between the the two front seats. Sound do able?

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice lookin chief there...looks a lot like one I looked at, u buy it from a guy in Oregon? Ken?

Just looked up your threads and profile... Thats me. I never sold the boat. Too many lookers, each with a different aspect on boat condition so I decided to research myself. Thats why Im here.

I actually bought it from a Ken in Oregon as well haha so I was a little confused as to which one you were refering to.

Nah man.. I reeally liked your quad! lol Now you can watch my thread and see what you would have been getting into. Congrats on on your new rig. I'm happy to see you bought tin. From reading these posts it seems they take a high regard for aluminum hulls over fiberglass. Not sure why? So far I think its weight? Im farly new to boating as well.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Great lookin boat you got. I'm kinda at that point myself. I did a little big of rednecking to get that motor out of mine. This time I'm lookin to take the boat and motor over to a shop that has a gantry or even just build me up one out of timber at the shop or buy a good ibeam one on CL... I can see it being a super handy tool for alot of other things.....
I honestly think I'm gonna be just buying or having a welder fab me up a HD one and not look back.

BTW, the boat looks great dood...... fix a few things here and get it back on the water..... that way it's not such a daunting job.....

But... just for a little FYI..... WE LIKE PICS MISTER!!!! :)

ttiwwp.gif

HEHEHE